HDMI/DVI or Component.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coreystang, Mar 24, 2006.

1. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

I have a 46 Samsung DLP HDTV. Right now I am using the Component cables. I have Comcast hdtv box that uses DVI and the tv uses HDMI. Is it worth getting the dvi/hdmi? As it is now the picture looks damn good right now.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i've heard HDMI isnt all that great for it being a new technology, id stick with components

3. ooa4oo

ooa4oo New Member

yes. hdmi=dvi > component. the picture will look damn better if you do.

4. ooa4oo

ooa4oo New Member

:hsugh:

you're comparing analog to digital.
    systems are only as good as their weakest link so maybe those you've heard from had something shitty in their setup.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

HDMI is equal to DVI in terms of quality... Actually I think you can adapt them with a simple cable -- no extra processing required. HDMI simply bundles DVI with audio in a smaller package.

I'd recommend DVI for being cheaper and same quality.

6. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

Component > HDMI for me.

What I have found is that there are products that will upconvert the image automatically if they are using HDMI. Because of that, they think HDMI is the better product.

For me a quality component cable was better then the HDMI. I also found that I had audio/video sync issues that were a pain to deal with when using HDMI due to the signal upconversion in my receiver. Component got rid of that nagging problem for me.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:hsugh::hsugh::hsugh::hsugh::hsugh::hsugh::hsugh:

"I spent several days testing, which proved to be an eye-opening experience. Despite the theoretical benefits of a digital-video connection to the display, in all cases but two, the image was better via component than HDMI. The Denon DVD-1920 and Krell Showcase were the only machines that performed better via HDMI, and then almost imperceptibly. In many cases, the images and motion artificats were indistinguishable between the analog and digital connections, but in some cases, HDMI exhibited color shifts, vertical distortions (e.g., circles became vertical ovals), and a higher black level. ..........My tests for these reviews indicate that there is no justifiable reason to use HDMI, at least with the Vizio P50; this is also true with other displays in my experience. Any cusom installer can offer plenty of anecdotal evidence about implimentation difficulties, performance limitations, and insurmountable glitches they've encountered using HDMI."

-The Perfect Vision March/April Issue #67 2006

The equipment used was all good ranging from martinlogan speakers to the DVD players ranging from 40 dollars-20k, from companies such as Ayre and Meridian.

HDMI may be alright in some cases but I wouldn't spend more than you feel like trying to get this technology, if you are getting stuff that happens to get HDMI then cool but don't let HDMI swing your vote on a buying decision.

I would trust the word of the reviewers at TPV, they have seen more things than all of the posters in the OT HT section combined, im sure. ;)

It also important to remember that DVDs are going out of style. You will probably not see a mass conversion of connection technology such as HDMI until HD-DVD and blu-ray has devoured the market as their past counterparts have done.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  8. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Component > HDMI

9. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

I will be using the HDMI just for the cable hdtv and not the dvd.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

sounds good :cool:

11. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

so use HDMI for HD-cable box?

12. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Are you trying to say that digital is always superior to analog? And that because component cables are analog, they are the weakest link? Why?

13. ooa4oo

ooa4oo New Member

no not that since components are analog they are the weakest link. the guys said that the hdmi wasn't all that and i responded that it could be because there was something else in his system that sux.

14. veonake

Just to be clear, unless the source signal was digital (I.e. there was zero analog component), it is not uncompressed. The very nature of D/A conversion requires loss. An analog signal can contain much more information than a digital one, a digital signal is almost always a sampled analog signal, and unless your sampling rate approaches infinity, it won't contain as much info as the analog signal.

15. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Since you already know what kind of picture quality you get right now using component, buy a DVI/HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com and give it a shot to see what you like better.

16. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

WOW! How old is this thread?

17. veonake

Your point of bringing this to the top was to point out how old it is?

18. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

with all this upconversion shit, does the receiver detect the maximum display res of the monitor/tv? my tv is only 720p so I don't want things being upconverted automatically to higher resolutions :dunno:

19. telc

telc OT Supporter

The comcast motorola receivers only output at 1080i.

20. cacique78

cacique78 Member

You might run into some hdcp compatibility issues. I'd stick with the component and use the hdmi if the dvd player is upconverting

21. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lol....bs. someone posted b4 me on this. i did not search for it. they pulled their posting making me look liek the jackass!

hah. oh well. long live the thread.