hdmi and component cables

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tasty_porkchop, Nov 29, 2004.

1. tasty_porkchop

tasty_porkchop New Member

hdmi and component cables - HELP

guys, Im a newbie when it comes to this stuff but I just bought a 65'' Toshiba HD ready projection television. On the back there is an HDMI port. On the dvd player I just bought, there isnt....just colour stream component jacks. Should I sell this unit and but a hd ready one?

I want the best picture I can get

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. 04

04 Guest

Technically HDMI is better, but that doesnt necessarily mean you will see a difference. Most of the time, people use component video with dvd players and acheive excellent results.

However, you do have a pretty large screen, and the difference could be noticeable. You might shop around and see if any stores allow for in home demo's of dvd players. Otherwise you'd have to just buy a new HDMI capable unit and hope that it can be returned if you dont notice any difference.

3. tasty_porkchop

good call, I was thinking the same thing....

on a side note, I have a satellite reciever upstairs with free RCA ports. Now can I hook up an ampifier to that so that I can have my surround sound on when watching the dish?

4. tasty_porkchop

5. tasty_porkchop

nobody is an HD nut in here?

6. 04

04 Guest

It should say in the manual if the dish reciever has digital audio output. You are talking about that right, and not just stereo audio?

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If you hook it up via RCA its just gonna be 5 channel stereo..no dolby digital or DTS. If you use optical or digital coax, you can go digital.

8. tasty_porkchop

wikked thx!