HDD slow

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jbuffethed, Nov 22, 2005.

1. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

I just built a new computer

AMD 64 FX-53
    Asus A8N Sli Deluxe
    2gb Crucial PC3200
    Radeon X850XT Platinum 256mb PCIe
    X-connect 500w PS
    37gb Raptor

My problem is, I installed XP SP2 just fine, flew through it pretty quick. After about 2 weeks it started acting flakey, running slow, certain programs wouldnt install, downloads were corrupt (i know this cause I hooked my old pc up and dl the same stuff w/o problem). When powering down, it would go to the "ITS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER", Its never done that. So I run the WD Diag program and format with that. Reinstall windows and it installs sloooowwww, takes forever to get to windows. My old P4 1.4 512mb is faster.

I am OC from 2.4 to 2.6 with AINOS 10% overstock. And have also tried reseting the BIOS and reformating.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

it shouldn't slow down, unless it's defective. did you try calling western digital? is it still under warranty? also, i would try the drive in another computer if you have the chance...and see what happens. also, try a different drive in your computer and see if thats slow

3. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]I found out a little more stuff and am waiting a response from WD. The drive is only 2 weeks old, so if its bad I can get it replaced.

Ive built this computer about 2 weeks ago. Ran great, windows installed fairly fast with no problems. Now its taking forever to load and shutdown windows as well as accessing time is crazy high. Everything is cool in the BIOS, Drivers are good, they were NVIDIA, but I rolled them back to windows drivers. Didnt make a difference. Changed out cables. I have tried running DLGDIAG several times and it just sits and sits. I lets the quick test go for over 30 minutes and nothing. On the Windows boot screen, the little progress thing used to go 1/3 the way across and go straight into windows. Now it goes 7+ times. I boot up this morning and I get that black screen with the white progress lines and it doesnt progress. I reboot and now my NTLDR is missing. Would writing zeros be the next thing or RMA?
    [/FONT][/FONT]

4. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Any disk errors in the event log?

5. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

Last night I didnt see any, but I cant even get into windows to check now.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Stop overclocking and see if that fixes the problem. ALL electronic circuits have a maximum speed they can run at before they can't cope with the speed of the changes in electric voltage and they start miscalculating stuff. If your CPU is just defective enough that its rated speed really is the fastest it can handle, then it could be causing errors throughout your system. The problem may not show up for a few weeks, until the CPU has had a chance to heat up and cool off a few times. Which, if I recall, is exactly the situation you are in.