HDD issues - SATA & IDE together

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cdscowboy, Apr 7, 2007.

1. cdscowboy

cdscowboy New Member

So I just built a computer, and this is the first time I've used a SATA drive. So far, I like it.

Here's the issue: I've got two IDE drives, One Maxtor, one Western Digital. If I connect just one of them, along with the SATA drive (which is my Master drive), it boots up fine, no problem. If I try to boot both IDE drives, my comp freezes at the motherboard spash screen at startup.

I've tried to get into BIOS before it freezes, but it just sits there saying "Starting BIOS..." or whatever.

So how do I get both IDEs to boot up with the SATA?

Thanks!

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Check IDE drive jumper settings.

Flip-flop master/slave settings.

Try running different IDE/controller combinations, for ex. one drive on each controller, both on one or the other.

3. cdscowboy

cdscowboy New Member

I couldn't find any jumpers, and the mobo manual didn't say anything about a jumper for the IDEs. I've got both the IDEs set for slave...that's good right? I want the SATA to be my master.

I'm assuming controllers are where the harnesses plug into the mobo, right? I've got one harness going to my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM, and the other goes to the two IDEs. You think I should swap primary and secondary harnesses?

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

there are jumpers on the drives. one needs to be set master, one needs to be set slave on each channel. this includes the settings on the cd/dvd rom drive.
    most western digitals are set as single if you have no jumper on the drive. this will not work if you have another drive/dvd rom on the ide channel. you need to set it to master with slave
    i think most maxtors are set as slave if there is no jumper on the drive

you can set the drives are master or slave, same goes for the cd/dvd roms. you just need to be sure that you have one master and one slave on each ide channel

5. Create

On most motherboards there are 2 IDE controllers, each supporting two drives, each controller using one cable for those two drives. One drive must be the master, one the slave *for each controller*.

So yes, one controller = two IDE devices = one cable

SATA is a seperate controller entirely. If you want your SATA drive to be your boot drive, then you need to change 'Device Boot Order' settings in your BIOS.

Sweet, think we found the problem on the first shot.

Look at the side of the IDE drive where the cables plug in. You should see a set of pins two wide and four or five pins long. There will be a plastic jumper connecting two pins across the width. On the drive should be printed which set of pins to place the jumper for one of four settings: single, master, slave, and cable select. None of your drives need to be in cable select mode.

You should place your storage HDD and CD burner on the same cable. It does not matter which is master/slave, as long as nothing is set to 'cable select' and there is one master, one slave. Place the other IDE devices on the other controller. If there is only one IDE device on a controller, set the device jumper setting to 'single' or 'master', preferring the former.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. Create

I should be in bed. Am I still making sense?

7. cdscowboy

cdscowboy New Member

Haha yeah you're making sense. I know about the master/slave settings on the IDEs, but I thought that since the IDEs were not the drives I wanted to boot from, that they both had to be slaves.

So what I'm saying is: I'll make it so there's a master and slave on each IDE channel. It makes sense now :)