HDD cutting off at 127 gig

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Aug 13, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Hey I installed a 200gb seagate hard drive for someone today and once done, i went to look at the props and it sed 127 gig. I remembered reading something about service pack 1 cutting off space after 127 gigs and that sp2 was sposed to fix it. so i uninstalled teh drivers of the hard drive and unplugged it. turned the comp back on and noticed a windows update available, it was sp2. so i installed it, restarted, then set the hard drive up for installation again. turned off, connected it, turned it on and started to finish the installation. except this time it sed "Warning: there is data on this drive, installing of this partition will erase this data...." so i continued, and once done, the hard drive props still said it had only 127 gb....why??

thanks in advance

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

BIOS limitation.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

welllll how do i get it to get it to teh full limitation. i thought service pack 2 was sposed to fix that. the kid has the same exact comp i do and i put a 160 in mine and i get hte full capacity. (well 149gigs cuz of the 1,024 kb deal)

what if i partition the drive?? like say 100 gigs each partition

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

what motherboard do you have?

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

hell if i know, i got two comps. ones a hp and ones a dell, i put the same exact hdd in both...no problems. this kid has the same dell. put a 200 gig in his from the same company and it cut off at 127. i dont get it.

but does anyone know if i partition the drive to like 100 gig partitions if itill work???

6. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

No, partitioning will not help. You need to upgrade the BIOS. THe BIOS cannot see partitions, it just sees the number of cylinders/heads, and can only support what it is its's current rev specifies.

7. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

He mentioned he has a dell, so it should be tit getting the BIOS upgrade.

8. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Could be one of 3 things:

You are formatting with FAT32, which has a size limitation of 127GB. Format with NTFS (which you should be doing anyway because it's a much better filesystem).

BIOS revision is too old to use 48-bit LBA, so it cannot address the whole 200GB. Upgrade the BIOS.

There is a stray jumper installed on the drive which limits its capacity. Yank it.

One of the above ought to solve this problem.

9. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well ok, im gunna need some assistance.

the stray jumper you speak of, theres only one that i know, and its on the "cable select" part of the hard drive. but seeing as how with the 6342 hard drives ive installed ive kept it on that, i dont think thatll do the trick.

im going to be looking at his comp later today, when u say you want to know what kind of motherboard it is, where do i find that out, what do i look for?

and also when u say upgrade the bios, how? i was reading something on an intel application accelerator or something and i guess it fixes limitations, but its only for specific chipsets and it listed a bunch of numbers. i dont have any idea how to find out what chipset is on(?) his mobo and i also dont know how to find out what kind of mb it is. if you can tell me what to look for, thatd be a great help cuz then i can tell you what it is.

also i dont know how to format with ntfs...

i pretty much just know the basics, ive installed a lot of hard drives, but all mostly the same way, this is the first one i came across thats had this probelm. if it helps at all, his computer is about 3 years old, maybe thatll give some hint as to what kind of motherboard was stuck in there.

10. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i upgraded the bios, still cuts off at 127. any other ideas?

oh and yes it was formatted in ntfs.

11. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well, weve tried everything. reinstalled teh hdd in 623 different ways, ran sp2, upgraded the BIOS, talked with a jamacan lady from del for 95 minutes and 13 seconds who had no idea about anything and have now settled with just keeping the hard drive at 127...

my last question is: seeing as how it isnt a 127 gig, he figures hed be better off keeping the 200 he got in there and using what space is available and when he gets his new comp, hes going to put it in there. then will the 200 gb be there in full?? or whatever it is in computer space...193 gb or something. also, is it safe using the hdd like this, with it being cut off?

edit: what if i were to get an external casing and put the internal drive in it and had it connect thru firewire, would he then get 200 gigs out of it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  12. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

can somebody please tell me if it would get all 200 gb if i put it in an external case and had it connect thru usb/firewire...i really need to know, thank you.

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Yes, that would work. So would adding a PCI ATA133 card to get around the limitations of the onboard controller.

The only other thing I can think of that might screw it up is if you were using a 40-conducter type cable to hook it up and not an 80-conductor. I don't think the 48-bit addressing works over slower ATA speeds even if the controller is capable, but that could be a strange delusion I picked up somewhere.

The drive is perfectly safe to use with the controller not seeing its full size. If you put it in another machine later then you should be able to create a new partition or resize the partition to use up the whole drive.

14. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

ok, you say resize the partition, would that mean i WOULDNT have to format it?? if so, how do i go about resizing a partition.

also, this ata card ur talking about:

is this alright: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007

the only thing i need to do is uninstall the hard drive, install the card, plug the hard drive ide into this instead of the mobo one, and install the hard drive as usual and it will give me 200 (or 190 whatever is in comp space)?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  15. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

im having the EXACT same problem, except my HD is a western dig caviar 200gb. cutting off at 127gb as well. i havent wanted to put the time or effort into fixing this yet so im letting it slide until i get an image of what i have on here burnt, but reguardless.... someone else said to format using NTSF in a thread i made... try that out, and good luck.

16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Did you use the software that came with the drive to format it in Windows?

If not, try that.

17. Apokalipse

Apokalipse New Member

the BIOS limits the hard drive to 65536 cylinders, 16 heads and 255 sectors/track.
    if your BIOS supports LBA and/or ECHS (which I doubt it doesn't, unless it's a REALLY old computer) your only barrier is software.
    FAT32 can actually address hard drives with up to 2^32 = 4294967296 clusters, with cluster sizes of up to 16kb.
    16 x 4294967296 = 68719476736 kb hard drive space (or 64 terabytes)
    XP just limited it to 32GB, in order to push people over to NTFS. 98 will format drives larger than 32GB using FAT32

XP without any service packs will not recognise drives larger than 137GB. you only need SP1 to support drives any larger.
    go to start, run and type diskmgmt.msc
    there, you can format the rest of the unpartitioned space on your hard drive. this creates a seperate partition though, but you can merge it later using a program called partition magic

18. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

ive tried everything with the bios, i mean everything. i upgraded, i tried it without a sp, with sp1, and sp2, and by default, the hdd is formatted with ntfs. no luck

this diskmgmt.msc you mentioned, how do you partiion unpartitioned space if it doesnt recognize it?

also id still liek to know about that card i posted if that will also do the trick as well, heres the link again: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007

19. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

so will that card work or what?

20. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

It will work. If Windows is already up and running, you can install the card and get it working in Windows first and then you should be able to switch over and boot from it. You'll need PartitionMagic in order to resize the partition. The BIOS will have to be set to boot from "SCSI" or "add-in card" also.

If you'd rather just wipe and reinstall, then you can go delete the old partition and make a new one that uses the entire drive. Personally, I like to make a smallish partition for the OS and make a separate partition for the rest (and relocate My Documents and email to D). Makes it a whole lot simpler if Windows ever gets screwed, you can nuke and pave without messing with your data. Anyway, you should be able to use the whole drive that way. You might need to press F6 when Windows setup starts in order to load the storage driver.

21. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

nah i fixed it already using diskmgmt.msc to partition the rest of the drive after we got sp2 on there again, then i obtained a full version of partition magic and merged the two drives, cuz the demo wouldnt let me.

just one question though, it has you make a folder to move the contents from the merging hard drive into the other one, but the partition was empty, but it wont let me delete the folder, it ses make sure it isnt in use or fullwrite protected.