HD600's = ear sex

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cavefish, Jul 27, 2003.

1. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Got these and my Headroom Total Airhead yesterday. They've been burning in on my shitty old receiver (save the burn-in debate for another thread plz) and right now they're running off the Airhead, which is plugged into the headphone jack of my speakers, which is connected to the Audigy 2 soundcard. This setup does a nice job of driving the high-impedence headphones, though I'm sure they'd sound a lot better with a better source, amp, and cable. I'm working on that.

Not only are they comfortable as all hell, but the sound quality is even more amazing than I expected. Everyone says you hear details in songs you missed, which I always thought was a pretty dubious claim. After listening to the Senns for a while, my opinion has changed. I'm now noticing things I've never heard before in songs. The soundstage is FAR superior to my Sony V-700's. Whereas the Sony's had boomy sounding bass, the bass of the Senns is a nice change of pace for me. Oh, and female vocals are mind blowing on these things.

I'm sorta rambling here, but I just wanted to post a few early impressions. If you want audiophile reviews of the thing using all kinds of fancy terms, you can find them out there :p

And if you have a shitty pair of headphones, you owe it to yourself to try some of these out. If not Senns, then Grados, Beyers, etc.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  2. 04

04 Guest

Glad you like them. Have you noticed any difference between using the reciever and the airhead? I couldnt notice one bit of difference between my amp and my reciever, but I don't play them all that loud.

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I don't notice much of a difference with the headroom processor on but from what I've been reading on Head-Fi it's pretty subtle and not really noticible on modern recordings, though it does help to reduce listening fatigue.

I'm pretty surprised at how well the small amp drives them actually. I hooked the Sony's up to the Airhead and nearly defeaned myself, and the Senns get pretty loud without distorting.

The receiver really is a piece of shit and I have no CD player hooked up to it right now, so I can't really compare the two. Once I get a better source I might get one of the Head-fiers to build me a META42 and get the Cardas cable upgrade.

I have an addiction when it comes to upgrading audio shit, as my car can attest.