HD600 - Used with portable MP3 Player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by euphoric, Jan 14, 2005.

1. euphoric

euphoric Who else here has some pants? Moderator

basically i want the best sounding headphones that are portable. People keep telling me HD600's but everywhere I read other people insist that I need a headphone amp. Just looking for some feedback / more alternatives.

2. Smahatma

Smahatma Bitch-Kumar OT Supporter

Uh yeah, you DEFINATELY want an amp to power the 600 or 650's (300 ohm impedence). The next lowest impedence in the Sennheiser line is the HD-590/595 (120 ohm impedence), but even that is still pretty damn high considering that most portable headphones are under 30 ohms.

You should look into highend earbuds -- they are better suited for portables. For example, the Shure e3c (MSRP 179$) and maybe the e5c (MSRP 499$).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'm not sure how HD600's are portable. They are far from it, especially if you are like me and want to keep them in the best condition. Right now they are resting in their original box (pretty nice foam padding) on my desk so they aren't banging around on my desk. I have powered them with my iPod before, but don't expect super loud volumes, but it is DEFINITELY listenable. Don't let anyone tell you they can't be driven by portable players. They will just sound noticeably better when powered by an amp. Headphone.com (Headroom) sellls portable amps that are powered by AA's if you are serious about getting the best sound all the time.

Anyways, for portability, I would recommend Etymotic Research. Their earbuds run from $120 to $300. The ER-6i is around $130 and is designed for portable players. I've also heard good things about Shure, but better things about Etymotic.