HD Question - G5 PowerMac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, Jul 9, 2009.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

So before I get too far, I have a Dual 2.7ghz G5 PowerMac at home that is my main machine, but I also do a little video editing, photo editing, etc. on.

My cousins just bought an HD camcorder and I was able to edit the video and what not in HD, but besides the export to HD, what are my options for burning to an HD DVD? Do any exist? Do any burners exist? I have the standard Superdrive in it right now.

Just wondering if any options are available to me right now and what they may be.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nobody uses HD DVD anymore. You need a Blu-Ray burner, that's the format that won the HD disc war.

3. tenplanescrashing

Correct...that's what my original intent was, I just didn't convey it properly. So should I be able to get a Blu-Ray burner for my machine and burn these 720p or 1080p videos to it and have it work just fine?

Fill me in on finer details if you have them...i'm not as savy at this point as I like to be.

4. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Buy a ide bluray burner, buy toast titanium. Put said HD File in Toast titanium, burn to bluray disc. Watch on HDTV.

I have one in my dual 2ghz g5 that i got on newegg, works just fine for burning blurays, keep in mind you cant watch them on macosx though. Takes a fair bit of time to burn tho.

5. tenplanescrashing

So even with a Blu-Ray burner, you can burn it and then attempt to watch it on the machine? Not like it should be a big deal since I should already have exported it to QT or something, but just curious as to why?

And do they make external BR burners?

6. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

Aren't G5s SATA? :dunno:

7. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

yes/no

HDDs are sata, optical drives are IDE

8. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

No way to play blurays on mac, just cant decode them. They do make external bluray burners... probably your best option anyways as IDE burners are few and far between. Ill dig up a link

9. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

10. tenplanescrashing

Thanks for the link. The price is a little higher than I hoped, but I can't get everything I want. ;)

So even with the blu-ray burner, I can burn it but not play...weird. I'll keep my eyes open though since i'd like to pursue this further in the future.