HD problem: bad sectors?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by abyssinianson, Jul 6, 2006.

1. abyssinianson

abyssinianson New Member

hey all, i recently started having IRQ problems with one o' my hard drives, and I think it might be because of bad sectors. can anyone recommend a good sector repairing utility for salvaging bad sectors on a drive? i tried using the XP native ChkDsk with no luck; the program chokes and produces a blue screen of death (BSOD) in the middle of the repair/scan. i would like to save some of the files on there before doing a fresh format.

as it is right now, I can view and access the files on the "defective" drive. however, I can't archive the files to DVD, or copy it onto a different drive. the error produces a BSOD with the error: IRQ driver not less or equal. there are several reasons why this may be happening but a scan of the HD identified some bad sectors so I am pretty sure this is why I can't access and copy the files off the drive.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bad sectors don't cause that... IDE driver problem or bad memory.

You can't "repair" a bad sector.

3. abyssinianson

abyssinianson New Member

there is another drive on the same IDE cable that is ok and has never given me problems. i did a scan of the drive as well to check on its integrity; it checks out ok. could the problem be with the IDE cable itself? and, if it is a faulty IDE driver, how might you go about fixing that?