HD is making noise

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pringles, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I think my time is up. I got this computer in 2002 and I think the HD is going to give in on me soon. Are there any tests I can run? What should I use to make a backup? How do I know if it is really the HD failing me?

2. skelm

skelm New Member

Are you sure its the HDD? Have you checked that there isn't anything obstructing the fans (specifically the power supply fan and the cpu fans - check that no cables are knocking the fan).

If it is the HDD then backup straight away, some hdd's will get louder but it doesn't always mean you're heading for a head crash.

Try and supply some more information if you can.

3. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Well first off, back up your data before running tests.

Then, try MS checkdisk with all the options, takes a while to run but generally will get the job done.

4. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Well im pretty sure it's the HD b/c everytime I do something where the machine would check the hd it starts grindind. But if it's idling in safe mode it's more quiet than ususal.

What is the best method of backing up my data? After that Ill try this ms ceckdisk.

5. radhaz

radhaz New Member

Back the data up to an external device (dvd-r) or external drive. If you don't have enough space then you will have to prioritize what matter's most. Keep in mind if your drive is dying every second of use could be it's last so prioritizing the data is probably best.

If you want to use a program to automate the backup process you might want to checkout the Superfiles Website for available freeware/shareware.

6. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I should backup the whole drive including windows and what not right?

Would norton ghost be a good program for this?

7. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

If the drive is indeed on its way out, heavy use (such as ghosting the whole thing) is probably not the best idea. I would still backup the important things first (documents, photos, videos, music). Windows and applications can always be reinstalled where your documents cannot.

8. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Microsoft office documents (excel spreadsheets, word documents, outlook e-mails, etc). Internet bookmarks. Go to Add/Remove Programs and write down each software you have listed and want to install next time.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ghost it to a new drive.

10. skelm

skelm New Member

sigh.. read up before posting ftw.

11. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Scan disk also gives me unable to complete error when I run it on drive c. Does that say something as to how much life left it has?

12. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

if it is the drive it could die in 2 minutes or 2 days. pull your data and replace the drive

13. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Well I backed it up to my other storage drive. I guess it's just time till it fails on me and I buy a new one. Should I look into the 10k rpm's or it's not worth my money?

14. skelm

skelm New Member

In my opinion it's worth the money but it really depends on what you are doing with the machine. I always like to have a nice fast drive for the operating system though, you can always store all the files you rarely use on a slower drive