HD-in?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Apr 22, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Curious, are there any cards that will let me input HD video into my PC? I know the new TV Wonder allows you to do that, but only for the HD channels that are being broadcasted over the air. My high def box has DVI, and component (red green blue) out. Is there a way to feed this into a PC?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have not seen a solution that wasn't of "professional grade" quality and cost.

I would be interested, as well, if you do find something.

3. o2

Did some googling. The only way to do it is to hack your box to have a firewire output. Thats a shame..... there goes my dream of a perfect media box. :(

4. peerk

peerk New Member

Here is a HDMI in card for $250. I haven't played around with this card but I imagine it isn't perfect for a HTPC(HDCP, large file sizes, card support).

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

It looks like the $350 pro version has component in also.

If you are really interested check out www.avsforum.com. Those guys have some crazy setups and I'm sure some of them have tried these cards.

Also, you can get a card that supports clear QAM. But then you will be limited to the channels that your cable company sends unencrypted. The channels people pick up really varies. Some just get the broadcast channels and others get none at all.

5. o2

The blackmagic thing has HDMI in.... so if I get a DVI-to-HDMI adapter..... will it display the video thats coming out of my box on the computer? I dont wanna rip the video, I just wanna be able to see the video feed coming from my box, in Windows. SD and HD channels. Will encyption get in the way of that?