HD dying

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Timdog, May 9, 2008.

1. Timdog

Timdog New Member

Lately, my computer has been shutting down randomly. When it shuts down, I can't reboot it unless I unplug the PSU and then plug it in again. Whenever it is about to shut down, my HD makes this sound like it's powering down, similar to when I shut down the computer manually. Is my HD on its last legs? It's a 6 year old Maxtor, so I could see it dying fairly soon. I don't have the computer overclocked right now, but it was in the past.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

check your temps. random shutdowns usually means overheating.
    could be a power supply issue too.

well,.. it is shutting down, so it could be normal. i wouldn't ignore it though.
    backup your data, stat. download hdd tools and test the drive.

3. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I don't have any important data on this HD, that's all on my 250GB Data drive.

I was wondering: if the HD does die, can I just create a new partition on my Data drive, install Windows, and keep all of my files? I only use about half of the drive right now and it's actually faster than my other drive so I'd probably see a bit of a performance boost. But I don't want to lose my old data.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds more like a power supply issue to me. The hard drive is probably shutting down because it's not getting the wattage it needs.