HD Cable problems v.signal strength

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ratven, May 20, 2006.

1. Ratven

Ratven OT Supporter

Hey guys, I just got an HD PVR and I'm experiencing some problems with regards to my cable signal strength. The HD channels kinda jitter from time to time and get pixely, as well as the sound stuttering.

I have a number of splits in my cable setup, running about 4 tv's in the house and cable internet with 4 computers as well.

I purchased a "cable booster" (http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=VideoAmplifiers&product=1501118) and connected it up to my PVR box, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Anyone have any idea what else I could do?

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

There should be a main cable line that comes into your house and then feeds into an amplified splitter to spread throughout your house. Run a cable from this line directly to your dvr. Also depending on the age of the house the cable could be old. If so you could replace it with RG6 cable.

3. Ratven

Ratven OT Supporter

Is there a difference in performance between connecting the aplifier driectly to the input in the house or the cable that runs to the TV?

When I attach the booster to the cable coming from outside, the quality actually decreases.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

is the amplifier you purchased powered?

5. Ratven

Ratven OT Supporter

Yeah it is.

10db Nexxtech Powered Amplifier

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

hmm....if you tried the amplifier and it dind't help next step is call the cable company. My HD was pixelated at one point and the a repair guy came out and did something out at the box. They can probably allow more bandwidth or something.