HD and RAM questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by REDandBLACKpack, Jul 27, 2008.

1. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

I know that soon I will have to do something about storage space for my MBP. I have been deleting movies after I watch them to make sure I have enough space even though Id rather keep them. I also know that as soon as I go back to school and actually have a decent internet connection I will download more. My MBP has a 150 GB HD right now. so here are my quetions:
    1) Should I get an external HD to keep my music/movies on or should I buy an internal HD and swap it out? what are the pros/cons of each?

2) What specifications do I need to look for, other than size.

3) I have never used an external HD so what all do I need to know about buying and using one?

Now as far as RAM goes, how much of an improvement in speed would I see by increasing the amount of RAM I have? I still think that my MBP is fast but I can definitly tell that it has slowed down over time, especially when having to restart, or other functions. I have heard that RAM is relatively cheap so if I do decide to upgrade, what specifications do I need to look for?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Stay away from Maxtor and LaCie drives for anything. Unless you wanna give me money to recover your data. Stupidly high failure rates.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

^^^ those 2 and Western Digital are the only drives that haven't crashed on me yet. I've had problems with seagate, ibm, hitachi and samsung all getting fucked...

had a seagate crap out 6 weeks before my senior projects were do in college... that shit sucked

4. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

I went with this HDD enclosure HERE with a 500gig sata hard drive into a 2.0 USB hub then to my MBP and works fine for me.