Having two public addresses / two ethernet cards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Jul 25, 2007.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

We have a server at work that is publicly available via VPN and static IP. We're in the process of moving to a new T1 and we've been playing with our new router, a SonicWall TZ190. I tried both manually configuring and using a NAT Wizard :mamoru: to direct any packets headed for port X to be forwarded to this server.

A connection appears to start but it never follows through..as if packets are never returned. My question is.. can you have TWO ethernet cards with TWO addresses in TWO different subnets without any problems?

I configured the SonicWall to direct two public IPs to my own computer acting as a web server, no problems at all. I just wonder if the server in question is getting a packet from connection B and responding to it via connection A -- ultimately making it fail.

I can LOCALLY connect to the server using both IPs without any interruption..it's just when it's outside the network where it gets hairy and I don't think it's a NAT issue.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes. very common, actually.

Just ensure that the "default gateway" is only populated for one interface.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

when in doubt check your route.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can even have two static IP's and one network card using two completely different subnets.