Having trouble installing sound card.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CKGuY914, Mar 23, 2003.

1. CKGuY914

CKGuY914 simplicity vs complexity

I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card and I just reformed my hard drive and installed Windows XP Professional (MSDN).

When I try to run the driver that I downloaded from Creative's site, it would give me this message. "This update is for WDM Drivers only, setup has detected VXD Drivers. To use this web update, uninstall the VSD Drivers and reinstall the VXD Drivers before running this installation."

Been up for 4 hours last night (played Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 in the background) trying to fix this with no luck. I don't know wtf the VXD driver is.

2. 04

04 Guest

The vxd driver is used for older systems like windows 98. Windows ME (I believe) and XP now have a type of driver archtecture called WDM. It stands for Windows unified driver model.

Anyways, you need to uninstall that other vxd based driver before you can get that new update to work, because the update is for the WDM version, not the vxd. That would be my guess anyways.

Here is some more info: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/driver/wdm/wdm.asp

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Just go into the device properties for the sound card, hit the drivers tab and then hit the uninstall driver button. Then restart and try to install the Creative Labs drivers.