Having Style on a Budget?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Perfect Speed, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

So I'm new to TSL...
    I read thru the faq and I found it pretty informative.
    I basically would like this thread to help ME (or anyone really) to get in style without spending a ton of cash. I'm on a limited budget right now and I'm not necessarily into big name stuff, however I'd like to look the part if you get my drift...
    So I'm gonna list some items I'd like to get (and some that others might like) and I'd like suggestions.
    I'll put stuff specific to me in parenthesis. Thanks for all the help...

Wallets - (Preferably black bi-fold, although I'd switch up to a billfold)

Bag - (nice looking something I could carry a 15.4 laptop in)

Jeans - (something stylish that's made in bigger sizes... I'm a 38 in some stuff and a 40 in others - fat/big boned ftl)

Hair Gel - (when I want to spike my hair up in the front)
    Hair Wax - (when I want it to kinda go everywhere ((bedhead look?)) and look dry)

Sunglasses - (with bigger frames)

Blazer / Jacket- (Are they still in style to wear with slacks or jeans? - I'm a big dude so I'll have to get it tailored but I'd like it to last - black)

Polos - (Specifically vertical striped ones - It seems like all I ever find is horizontal ones)

T-Shirts - (Again, I'm a big guy and I have a bigger chest so I'd like something that has maybe some designs towards the bottom to draw attention away from my chest)

Thanks all

*edit* - Just to update... I have been working out regularly. So it's not like I won't get thinner, but I'd like to look good while I do and if I have to get stuff tailored while being a big dude, there's no reason I can get it re-tailored when I lose more weight.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. everlong

everlong nice crew

Well. First of all, I am going to say something that you don't want to hear, but still. Loose some weight! My father got diagnoes with diabetes 2 6 months ago because he was lazy, and that sucked for him. It will also be easier to shop at cheaper store with nice clothes such as H&M and Zara. H&M has done alot with it's design and quality these last two years.

I'm responding from an european point of view so people proably might disagree with me.

Blazers: A navy blazer is 'timeless'. I think a blazer will help you do something with your big frame.

Sunglasses: ray ban caravan. It's a avaiator without the 'round' frames.

Wallets: Get diba to make you something. Look in the 'just bought thread'.

Hair gel and wax: You never want the 'slick' look. Especially since you are big, and we are not in the 90s. You will look greasy. I like Redken and Sebastian. There is a thread about wax here where you can find some of the more popular ones.

Shirts and polos: Don't. Get some nice shirts with vertical stripes.

Bag: I have a black Samsonite bag for my 15" laptop. Qwestion has a cool one I still consider buying if I have the money. You can use it as a backpack to, but I would not recommend it. http://www.qwstion.com/detail.html?p=14
    [​IMG]

3. Kafka

Kafka New Member

everlong had some great advice, the thing with zara's and h&m though is that you need to be in shape and preferably on the thin side so you should definitely shape up.

4. Perfect Speed

I have a couple from Crazy Horse by Claibourne and J.Ferrar (Not uber spendy) and I like them... I usually wear them open on the top 2 buttons...
    I'd like to consider a tie tho, like a thick tie (with a windsor knot) a little loose with the top botton on the shirt open... think that'd work?

Edit - Any word on Jeans?

also, just updated my orig post. I work out regularly and am losing weight, but I'd like to brush up on style while I brush up on brolyness.
    Also edited what I meant by wax and gel (slick wasn't the right wording).
    Thanks for the info so far guys!

5. wisie

wisie New Member

Maybe hold off on some purchases until your weight settles?

You haven't mentioned budget so for jeans maybe APC?

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

no

windsor knots are only to be worn by stockier folk and only if it is worn with a suit/jacket or at least with the shirt fully buttoned and the tie tight.

If you want to go for the loose tie look, use the four in hand knot and a slimmer tie. more casual by nature.

7. Perfect Speed

Never heard of them, got a link?
    I'd wanna spend like $50-75 a pair. I know that cheap for a lot of guys, but I just can't justify $100+ on jeans... not yet.

I am stockier folk.
    I just thought a slimmer tie would make me look bigger? Or am I wrong with that?
    Just trying to clarify.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I know you're stockier but regardless a windsor knot should not be worn loosely done.

And how stocky? 5'10" 180 here...

Still a four in hand is the way to go for the loose look. Get a regular width tie (not wide, not skinny)

9. Perfect Speed

I'm 6'1-6'2 250lbs, a decent bit of it is muscle but I'm still a big dude.

10. everlong

everlong nice crew

I agree on the tie tip. Not wide, and not skinny. I also have the two top buttons open if I don't wear a tie if I want a relaxed look.

I don't know much about the jeans market in USA, but when you are in the shape you want to be, invest in one pair of expensive jeans, preferably raw denim. It will seem like a ridiculous amount of money, but they look really good after some wear and tear. And don't get bootcut. Straight cut is good for your current size I think.

I would get some relaxed oxfords shoes with a round tip if you want to dress up for your regular wear.

And stay away from affliction, tapout, ed hardy and any other tacky brands and clothes. No big logos. The clean, classic look is the way to go.

I would not spike my hair up front. Reminds me about what we did when I was in 4-7th grade. I go to a hair stylist who gives me a classic and somewhat oldschool cut, almost like the guys in Mad Men.

11. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

One thing I would say is while you're getting your style on lock use thrift stores. You can get a few nice shirts for $5 each (Brooks Brothers, Polo, etc) and then spend $15 on the tailor for high quality well fitting shirt.

12. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

For hair wax/gel Kevin Murphy Sticky Business is one of the best around.

13. level99

level99 Guest

go to H and M, or Uniqlo, and have a blast. those r relatively cheap stores