GUN having second thoughts

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by islanderman7, Jan 26, 2006.

1. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

i ordered a .223 lower receiver, Double Star brand recently, havent picked it up yet. I did a cost anaylsis to see how much the whole AR was gonna cost to make it california legal. My range is $865-987.

i just found this http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976664111.htm

thats 879 dollars for a legal ar :(. should i have gone this way? it seems alot more convient to reload this rather than disassembling the rifle to reload. arghhhh, the frustration of building my first ar in a fucking liberal state.

...im just venting:wtc:

2. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I know what you mean man, a bunch of my buddies got those "legal" lowers and are going to build them up but i'm not sure if they'll be legal here in kaliforniastan.

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

whatdu mean "disassembling the rifle" to reload?

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Carbon 15 FTL

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not from cali but I thought with this loophole you could assemble these lowers into proper AR15's? You should be able to do it for less then your estimated costs, go over to ar15.com and hit the equipment exchange to find the upper, stock, and maybe a deal on lower parts kit.

6. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

wtf? why do you want that faggot pussy takedown to load AR? fuck that. you'll be able to build your lower into a all-out, ballsy vagina loving AR once they close the loophole. so no, you did good.

7. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

taken from another one of my posts:

there's a loophole in the california law right now, where you can buy certain brands of stripped AR lowers from another state and have it shipped in. for now, you can't have a pistol grip on it, so you can't build on it, but once they fix the loophole (very soon), and ban those lowers, everyone who bought one during the loophole will be legally allowed to register it as an assault weapon, allowing them to put whatever they want on it (pisol grip, removable mag, flash hider, collapsible stock).

8. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

Only after a fixed low-capacity magazine is attached and screwed down should the pistol grip and/or folding or telescoping stock be attached. Conversely, if the fixed magazine on the rifle needs to be removed for repair or cleaning, the pistol grip and collapsible or folding stock or thumbhole stock must be removed first.

NEVER HAVE AN OFF-LIST LOWER RECEIVER WITH AN OPEN MAGAZINE WELL AND AN ATTACHED PISTOL GRIP OR FOLDING (etc.) STOCK - EVEN FOR A MOMENT!!
    NEVER PUT A BARRELED UPPER RECEIVER WITH A FLASH HIDER ON A LOWER WITH A PISTOL GRIP, UNLESS A LO-CAP MAG HAS ALREADY BEEN AFFIXED.

Add your choice of barreled upper receiver (16” minimum barrel length), add a buttstock, and you’re ready to go. Note that the overall length of your rifle must be a minimum of 30 inches or it becomes an assault weapon too.

apparently, with a fixed mag, the gun is considered NOT an Assault Weapon. As soon as the fixed mag is removed, its considered as AN Assault Weapons. In california "AW" are illegal

9. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

yeah checked that place out, but i want to support my local gun store.:x: he has pretty good deals as a supplier of ROCK RIVER ARMS.

10. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

that's all immaterial, b/c once they ban the lower you're getting, you'll be able to register your gun as an assault weapon, therefor allowing you to attach anything you want to the gun.

11. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

i hope they dont close it to soon. like give me a month.:hsd:

12. 99_civic_ex

99_civic_ex Active Member

islanderman7 what are your intentions with your ar? do you want to build it into a Ca-legal fixed-mag rifle? if so you may be better off with that link that you provided. if you want to build it into an "assault" weapon, you will have to wait until your lower is listed (and you register it with the CADOJ) before adding the "evil" features. so once you obtain your lower, just sit tight. the right time should :x: come.

13. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Some guys on another forum I frequent heard about the loophole and went and bought 6 lowers each.

14. 99_civic_ex

that's kind of excessive. :eek3:

15. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Not really. I would max out my CC with them :o

16. 99_civic_ex

i say that because once we are required to register them as AWs, you can't sell them instate. i wouldn't want to go thru the trouble of finding an AW ffl to sell out of state (if you are ever to sell). i also don't see the point of having 6 different ar's... unless you have brd :big grin:

17. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

so many configurations, so little lowers. :o

18. 99_civic_ex

i now have 6 :eek3:
    i'll probably end up selling 2 of them

19. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

You are retarded Jordan, why in the hell would you want a permanently fixed magazine. Looks like a Fab10 reciever to me..

20. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

if your going to sell them, i would hurry up cuz your gonna be stuck with 6 lowers for the rest of your life if chose to stay in cali. bans coming soon........ is it here yet?!?!

21. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

Here's my breakdown:
    FAR-15 receiver: $200
    Bushmaster LPK: $65
    6 Pos. stock: $50
    Bushmaster A2 HBAR 16" upper with BC/CH: $475
    Bushmaster 10 round mag: $15
    Nut to fix mag to gun: $0.25

So about $805 for my cali legal AR

The look on Boxer's face when she realizes this is the same rifle that she banned: priceless

IMO it's better to have it this way because there's a chance that you can register it as an AW then make it into a 'real' AR, but if you get the sealed mag version you'll always be stuck even if you move out of state.

BTW, to load the mag all I have to do is pull out the rear takedown pin, break open the rifle, then load the mag from the top. No further disassembly is required

22. 99_civic_ex

i pick up next week :wtc:
    i wouldn't mind if i'm stuck with 6 lowers. i'd rather have more now than want more later and not be able to buy.

23. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it :) I have 2 of mine built, waiting to them to be added to the list so I can make a 9mm and maybe a .45

24. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I keep second guessing it myself, I can afford the $215 for the stripped lower, plus another $20 to register it as an AW, and eventually I should be able to cover the rest of the cost of the build. However, I havent shot an AR before, if I decide to get rid of it I have to find an AW permitted FFL who probably will rip me off, if I want to shoot it I have to find a range that will allow me to shoot an AW. Kind of seems like a lot of work and a lot of money.

25. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Lots of AR, AK, and all sorts of military-style rifles at all the ranges around here. No one asks.