having router/switch problems and needing help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eu4ia, Apr 14, 2007.

1. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

i posted this in the main forum but got no help

about a month ago the linksys wireless router that my roommate and i were using crapped out and stopped working. the lights come on but neither of us can connect through it. i brought two ethernet switches home from work. a linksys 8 port switch and a connectgear 10/100 switch. the linksys one wont seem to work either. the connectgear works for my computer (PC) but wont for my roommates (mac).

the cat5s are all good, i thought that might have been the problem but ive used a couple different ones in all different ways and nothing has made it so we can both be on at the same time

are macs missing a driver or something for switches? am i missing something completely obvious?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pebkac

3. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

huh?

4. Create

Create :free at last:

So, does anyone know if the mac default network setup is just like the windows default?

I know one thing for sure: It's not an equipment failure.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's possible the nic on he mac is bad... but I'm still leaning towards pebkac

6. Create

...maybe the mac's config'ed for the last network it was on. pbkac fo' sho'

7. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

the mac to connects to the internet when its plugged directly into the cable modem but wont go through any routers or switches

i appreciate all the user error computer jargon with no real solutions on how to fix it :jerkit:

i dont know how macs operate and thought they might need a driver or something to connect through a switch instead of a router.

i googled the switch user manual and it wasnt helpful and i couldnt find anything else on google

8. Create

If the mac is connecting without a switch then we know the mac's hardware and cabling are ok. We also know the drivers are ok.

This is a configuration issue. Are there any config changes required for the PC to connect one way vs. the other?

Here's my first guess: The mac is set to a static ip outside the default range for the switches.

On YOUR PC, assuming WinXP, and just after it's working with an inline switch: rt-click 'my network places', lft-cl properties, rt-cl 'LAN connection', lft-cl properties, left 'TCP/IP', click properties button

List all data from all tabs. Report back. Someone will need to chime in to help you implement the settings into the mac. Find out the mac's operating system version for this someone.

That's what you get for not giving us the first part of your last post up front. Your description was very...vague...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  9. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

i figured it was assumed that the mac was capable of connecting to the internet and that the nic card was almost surely ok. im pretty sure all the hardware on both the mac and pc are fine, along with the cat5s. ive used all different ports on the back of the switch and all of them work for my computer and none of them for the mac.

his computer is plugged into the switch now and has no connection but his itunes library is showing up in my itunes but i cannot access it

the pc didnt require any sort of config changes to switch between the router or modem or switch

im obtaining the dns and ip addresses automatically

10. Create

Are you as clueless as I am about how to check if the mac has the same settings?

You could try mac's help function. Default settings shouldn't be that hard to set.

The mac might also require that the 'internet gateway' is set. On the PC: start menu, run, without quotes "cmd", ok button, at dos line without quotes "ipconfig", then <enter>. We need the 'default gateway'.

edit: fuck, you seem to have the pc down. will stop giving step-by-steps

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  11. Create

95% sure we've got the solution, just need to check the mac config.

was key.

You mean by 'has no connection' that he cannot access the internet, I'm assuming.

Also, you may not be able to access his iTunes. Your hard disks may use different file systems. For this issue I'm ont sure if there's a practical fix.

12. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

yeah my pc is fine and all the settings are right to connect, im just pretty oblivious about macs and where all the network configure stuff is.

the switch is lit up fine for the port his computer is plugged into and showing activity but no internet access has been made. i can usually access his itunes library but for some reason now i cant, it shows up meaning both our computers are networked but there is a problem.

13. Create

What's the gateway. Post it up, then I've done all I can here.

All you need is an oxymoron...errr, I mean mac guru

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

He means this:

[​IMG]

15. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

you want the one that comes off ipconfig in the cmd?

16. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

LOL, all this talk and no one has noticed he replaced a ROUTER with TWO SWITCHES...

The router was providing NAT to your computers that were behind it, thus allowing you to share the connection. A switch will not do that for you. In fact, the first computer you hook up will steal the IP Address, most likely 216.82.201.x, and the other computer wont have an IP.

You need to throw a router back in there and configure it for NAT.

17. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

that is the ip address it has been getting. even if the mac is connected first it wont get the connection, only mine does

how do i make it work? would i have to configure both computers while connected to a router that doesnt work or what?

18. samm

samm Next in Line

:bowdown:

to the original poster: you need a router, not two switches

19. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

why wont a switch work? the reason i didnt buy a router is because im only living with this roommate for a few more weeks, and my roommate at the new apartment already has a router so i didnt want to buy a brand new one just for a few weeks

20. abyss0208

abyss0208 New Member

You cannot share an internet connection with switches. The NAT that is part of the router is what allows multiple computers to use the same public IP address to access the internet.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A router can issue IP addresses to everything downstream of it. A switch is nothing more than a glorified cable-splitter. Without a router to talk to, nothing plugged into your network can get an IP address to identify itself, and none of your machines can find out the routing paths they should use to send data to other machines or to the Internet. It's similar to a bunch of telephones wired up to each other, but with no phone company to issue phone numbers and to transfer calls.