SRS Having really bad withdrawls (alcohol)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ls1norcal, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

For those with experience, how long will this last? The anxiety is killing me, my heart just got done racing and I feel all out strange. I have almost all the typical symptoms of alcohol wihtdrawl, and it seems that one is worse one day, then a different one will be worse another day. Its been about 5 days without a drink, but the last 2 have been the most difficult.

I also quit smoking about 2 weeks before I quit drinking. Is this too much of a shock to my body?

Im really having a hard time with this, and I really didnt even drink *that* much to begin with. I wasnt a heavy drinker, more like a consistent drinker. I rarely got drunk to the point where I couldnt control myself. I usually just have a few beers after work, about 4 out of 7 days of the week. Ive been consistently drinking for about 2 years.

Any help/info will be greatly appreciated.

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I don't recommend detoxing alone, it's dangerous. Don't be afraid to go to a hospital. It should get better in a week or less.

Trying to quit smoking at the same time is also a bad idea. I tried while in rehab and was advised not to by the hospital staff. They were right.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

Find your 'out'. Check with your insurance to find an inpatient detox facility. If you feel you're going to 'break', call a cab to the facility rather than the bar.

If you do not have insurance and can't afford the usually large inpatient price tag, contact the Salvation Army. In my town, they run a charitible detox facility called Harbor Lights.

Tell me what city you are in. I'll drop you a phone number for an AA hotline. They'll just...innately care and do what they can for you.

You're not alone. Hang in there.

4. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Im doing a lot better today (knock on wood). Not much anxiety today, and Im getting my appetite back. Ive been taking multi-vitamins and taking an Airborne in the morning.

Thanks for the AA offer, but I really feel that I can kick this with the support of my friends and family. I didnt really have the urge to drink at all until last night when my heart started racing, and like I said, im doing much better today. Hopefully I continue to feel better.

Thanks for the support. :)

5. Create

Create :free at last:

More important than family/friends is having someone who's kicked the habit to talk to. Most start thinking about drinking well before they actually start up again. Recognizing and quickly quashing this slow rationalization are the most important things.

Anyways, I'll stop preaching.

6. MrJClive

MrJClive OT Supporter

Well put. My last relapse occurred days before I took the first drink.

Today I had a shitty day at work and was sitting at home thinking about how I didn't feel like hitting a meeting. Rehashing the day only lead to cravings,... and eventually a meeting. Without it I can almost bet the house I'd be fucked up right now. Afterwards I still wasn't happy about the day, but I came out with a clear head on my shoulders and played the cards I was dealt.