Having RAM ISSUES

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I just bought some ram off ebay and got a hell of a deal on it. Problem is I got two different types of ram and when I installed the ram my computer told me that DIMM 4 ram was not compatible with my computer. The RAM chips are almost identical could someone please tell me the diffrence.

Also I have a Dell 8200 if you guys need some more info about my motherboard or whatever let me know.

The ram that works:
    http://www.syncmax.com/rambus6_3.html
    has ECC

The ram that doesn't work:
    http://www.syncmax.com/rambus4_2.html
    Non-ECC

2. Skyline22GTR

the 1st one is 45ns and the second one is 40ns could that be my issue the speed or whatever those numbers mean

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Rambus is really picky about how it's set up. First of all, the RDRAM boards have to be EXACTLY identical, because they HAVE to be installed in pairs, much like dual-channel DDRAM or old SIMM memory.

My father's computer uses RDRAM, and to give you another example of RDRAM's pickiness, if I'd bought PC800 I could have installed 2GB (or 64 memory devices, whatever that means) but since I bought PC1066 the quantity was restricted to 1.5GB (or 48 memory devices). No explanation why, just a notice that the faster speed had a lower max quantity restriction.

I've had superb luck getting the memory I need from www.oempcworld.com. They keep records of the exact kind of memory every prebuilt machine uses, and they know where to get it for you. They have prices comparable to NewEgg, also.

4. deusexaethera

bump for progress report.

5. Skyline22GTR

Well I have to get a hold of the seller first in order to return the RAM and get a matching pair. At the moment I have not been able to get a hold of the seller so I have to wait till tomorrow.

6. deusexaethera

You find a match for the one that works, buy it, and sell the mismatched one on eBay.