Having problems setting up wireless LAN at my apt.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicklk, Nov 12, 2008.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Ok, back story.

I moved into my new apartment around a month or so ago, part of the apartment lease includes free internet. The internet is a LAN set up, but when we moved in, we just plugged in our wireless router to the cat5 outlet in the wall and had it set up on automatically get the IP address. Usually it was 192.168.X.X I have a Linksys Wireless G router, never've had an issue with it, and we also used my gf's AirPort and had no issues using it the same way.

Ok, two weeks ago....the internet goes out. We are still connected to the network, but we arent getting any information from them.

Ok, so I ask them whats up they come to my place and they have been beating around the bush with their repair tech........short story is that they are fuckin retards and dont know what they are talking about.

Ok, yesterday stopped by the office and they said I needed to input a different IP address....so I did so, and did nothing.

So stopped by today and they gave me a whole thing to input. This is what it says:

Static IP
    Unit: 814

IP address 10.1.8.114
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 10.1.8.1
    DNS Server 4.2.2.2

Ok, so I plug my computer directly into the wall and set up the TCP/IP to what exactly it says.....and my internet works!!!!

Now I need to set up my wireless router to read this infomration.

I've put it into the wireless connection in the network connections and it doesnt work. I set up a static ip through the router going into the admin part of the linksys router and it doesnt work.

Sooooo could anyone please help me out!

Thanks!

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So you did or did not set the WAN address in the router to those IP settings?

3. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Just a sec, I'll show you what I did

4. nicklk

nicklk New Member

5. 5Gen_Prelude

And you've got the cable plugged in the right port?

One thing that could have happened was that when you did get it to work, the network locked your MAC address from your laptop into it. Check to see if the laptop still works. If it does, try cloning the laptop MAC address into the router.

6. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I've got the cable from the wall plugged into the far left port

[​IMG]

Not sure how to do that.

7. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Got it to work, thanks!

8. 7960

7960 New Member

so what was the problem?

9. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I cloned the MAC address through the Linksys router, and it worked! :wiggle:

10. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

i deleted my post, looks like you solved the problem.

11. Jtech

Jtech Guest

WTF SON

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't clone MAC addresses. Just talk to the building's IT guy and ask him to wipe that record from the router, so you can set it up properly.

13. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

i would setup his router with the static info, just like he has.

then i would disable DHCP on his router and let the apartment complex router handle DHCP to my other PCs.

14. deusexaethera

I wouldn't disable DHCP. I wouldn't want anyone else in the building to have access to my personal network.

15. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

yeah, good point.

16. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

why shouldn't he clone the MAC addy? how else can he set it up?

it looks like the static ip he setup is correct.

17. deusexaethera

The static IP part is correct. It's the cloned MAC address I don't think is a good idea, because then there will be two devices with the same MAC address, and MAC addresses are supposed to be unique ID numbers that never get duplicated. Cloning is primarily used when you need to replace one computer with another and you need to make it look to the router like nothing ever happened.

It sounds like the building's router is programmed to add the MAC address of a machine to a whitelist when it's first plugged in, and then after that if a different MAC address shows up on the same port, it gets blocked -- only the machine with the MAC address the router saw the first time around can connect properly. But clearly, someone else used to live in that apartment, so the building's IT guy must have the ability to clear out the MAC address filter for each apartment.

Just ask him to do that because "you replaced your computer and only the old one can connect", then when the MAC filter gets cleared, reset your router, plug it into the network, and re-enter the static IP settings. The building's router will detect your router's MAC address, and your router will be allowed to connect.

18. 5Gen_Prelude

Or do nothing of the sort, and accept the solution was solved a week ago with no further problems. I have no idea why Tom bumper a bazillion threads that had been solved.

But as an aside, the whole point of the Clone MAC address feature on home routers is for this exact scenario. Yes he could get someone to clean it out, but this way he doesn't require him to deal with anyone else now, or later if his router gets replaced. You're arguing over the elegance of a solution which for someone who was simply trying to get his internet to work is pointless.