Having problem with power plug in back of Compaq laptop..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

[Save the anti-compaq comments.. don't want to hear it!]

I have a Presario R3000 laptop. I am having an issue where the AC plug just falls out on its own; or it could be plugged in, yet switches back and forth between AC and battery because the plug is loose.

I need to get this fixed. It's driving me nuts. Anyone know the fix? Would it be replacing the ac plug? Something I can do myself or should I bring it to Best Buy or something?

I called Compaq, but they were completely worthless.

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I would say, call Compaq and see if there are any authorised repair centres in your area, otherwise, I would start calling different laptop places. I would stay away from a CompUSA or BestBuy.

3. darnit

darnit New Member

does it actualy fall out? Or as its sitting in there, it switches back and forth? And If you apply pressure(up/down/sideways) it seems to be fine and run off AC?
    If so, you most likely have a cold solder joint in your laptop. The circuit board that the power coard plugs is like a barrel inside with 2 standoffs. One is +, the other is -. Usually when one of those connections isnt soldered right, you get the exact same symptoms.

Here are some links I found
    http://www.averatecforums.com/showthread.php?t=2710&page=1&pp=10
    http://www.averatecforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48&d=1126049912

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well, the problem is you bought a Com...er, nevermind.

You might be able to fix the problem yourself, if you're handy with a tiny screwdriver. It sounds like the little spring-loaded contact that rubs against the outside of the power plug has gotten bent out of the way, and even though it touches, it doesn't apply enough force to hold the plug in place. Stick a little screwdriver in behind it and try to bend it towards the middle of the hole the plug goes into.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'll investigate both solutions asap.

I'll advise. Thanks guys!