WEB having issues with ecommerce coding

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoostedBoogie, Mar 12, 2008.

1. i'm trying to setup my design with an ecommerce script given to me by one of my teachers and i'm trying to test it locally using wampserver, but everything is having trouble connecting. im 99% sure its because i can't figure out what my webroot, relative, and webhost paths are incorrect. any help is appreciated :wavey:

2. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

so it's having trouble connecting to the database ?

Im a little confused.

Can you post the message you're getting when attempting to go to the website.

3. well the way my professor setup his ecommerce script is he has a lot of $relative and $webroot and $absolute which are set to the relative path of where the script is located and the webroot path and absolute path...so throughout the script, instead of putting the full path he put those scalers.

so a lot of the echos to the database data isn't working because i have no idea what the difference is between the relative/absolute paths. i think webroot path is like the direct link such as www.whatevs.com/cart/, but i know relative and absolute has to be something like "/public_html/maaaco/www/whatevs.com/cart/" but i can't seem to get it right.

just wondering if someone had a clear explanation for absolute and relative paths :dunno:

edit: and no im not having trouble with connecting to the database. im actually testing all of this on my local machine for now. its just i think the way he has it setup i won't be able to get this working on a local machine, let alone a web server.

4. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

well if it's local it depends on what's OS is installed.

Windows he's most likely using apache. I think that's like c:/Apache/htdocs or some shit.

Linux has the /usr/www/ or w/e probalably.

I wish i could of helped more :o

5. thanks anyway but i decided to go with a different script. it was just too broken for me to try and figure it out :o

i have until monday to do a complete full oscommerce styled around my design. that's like search, search results, full cms, editing product information, checkout and a payment processor :hs:

6. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

http://www.oscommerce.com/ > *