Having issues setting up my router...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, May 1, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, I have everything connected properly and my computer is working fine plugged in through the router but my girlfriends laptop is not. I'm looking at the settings but this is the first time I've setup a router so I'm not sure what I'm looking at, any help would be great :hs:

2. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Ok nevermind about her computer not working, I'm not sure what I did but I just opened up the router configuration settings on her laptop and now it works. I am confused though on how I go about getting the IP information and names I need in order to forward certain ports. Like Azureus, Steam, and a few other programs.

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

There should be a screen showing you what computer's are connected and what their IP address is. Set the DHCP server to a long lease time to make things easy, though the IP will probably never change even if it renews.

If your router is on 192.168.1.1 set one PC to 192.168.1.2 and the other to 192.168.1.3. I believe Azureus uses TCP port 6881 but you can specify which port for it to use. As for how to port forward the Linksys I can't help as I have a POS Westell from Verizon.

4. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

Linksys its the same. 102.168.1.1 will open the config page. The password defalt is ADMIN. Go to advanced routing and type in your port number and where you want to foward it to.

since you are going to foward ports you may want to make your IP address static. With the laptop being wireless the ip address may change each time your log on to the network.