having boot problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PnutsInYourMouthOwns, Dec 19, 2005.

1. PnutsInYourMouthOwns

PnutsInYourMouthOwns New Member

Hey guys,

Im a noob when it comes to comp repair and im having trouble with my laptop. Everytime i try to start the computer up, the screen goes black and tells me that it shut itself off unexpectedly blah...blah...blah, and then it gives me these boot options safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt or start normally. Being the noob that i am, i naturally choose regular boot. After that a bar appears at the bottomo of the screen and it attempts to start windows. after that it goes to the XP loading screen with the windows logo, and starts the whole process over again....any idea whats going on??

If you wanna help me walkthrough hit me back here or on AIM: Joeydahatchet

2. PnutsInYourMouthOwns

PnutsInYourMouthOwns New Member

any help at all would be greatly appreciated guys....its way to expensive of a laptop for me to just toss and get a new one

3. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter

Don't start normally this time. During boot, keep hitting F8 until you see the Safe Mode screen you saw before. Boot into safe mode (should be the first choice on the list)

Once you're logged in check the Event Viewer and see if there are any helpful errors that were generated.

Did you do anything hardware-wise just before you started seeing this issue?

If you think it might be a virus, run scans while in safe mode. Also, try running Check Disk from safe mode to make sure you don't have any hard drive issues.

(I'm assuming you're running XP...)