Having an issue with work related software... v.$20paypal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soulfire, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Ok guys. I am stumped with a work related issue and I need to offer $20 paypal to whoever can help me figure this shit out or give me an idea that would solve my problem.

So heres the issue. I program remote controls for peoples home theaters and one of the remotes that I use (HTM MX-850) is programmed via a serial cable into a USB-Serial adapter (this device ISN'T the culprit).

The issue is that a couple weeks ago, I went to download into a customers remote, and I got an error saying it couldn't communicate with the remote, and it suggests a bad serial cable. So I took my flash drive, loaded up the software and took it to another computer, thinking something was wrong with mine, and after loading up everything from my thumb drive, I tried to download on to the remote, and again, same failure. So I went back to the office where we have more computers, and I tried it on another. Same issue. So now im really confused. I start changing cables, changing remotes, trying a different USB-Serial adapter, and even changing the serial cable itself. Even with a completely different remote, I had the same issue, on a completely different computer than I started with, so somehow this problem is SPREADING. So I do a test...

I load up the software on another computer, but this time, i download it off the internet instead of using my flash drive to transfer the installer. This time, I plug in a remote, and it loads perfectly fine.

So heres my issue. I reformatted my laptop, and I still cant program these remotes, and the only indication of a possible culprit, is a virus that would have to be traveling around in my files.

And these files are important obviously. I have all my customers remotes and whatnot. I did virus scans and nothing has come up, and after the reformat the computer works beautifully. Even other devices work through this USB-Serial adapter with no issue. Its only programming this one brand of remote.

My head hurts... Fucking computers. :wavey:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Maybe it's their way of not allowing you to pirate their software? I did have a weird case of not being able to install Backup Exec from a network location - I HAD to use the CD it came with. Perhaps you have a similar problem.

3. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

most PCs still come with 1 serial cable. Can't you plug it in directly to serial without the Usb->serial adapter? to see if it's a problem with the conversion of the signals?

4. Soulfire

Im not pirating any software. This is freeware put out by the company that makes the remotes for custom installers to use.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

My point is that you installed it from the internet rather than from the flash drive and it worked - perhaps that was the problem? I wasn't trying to pirate either - more to the point, it installed fine, it backup fine, it would simply not catalog anything on the tape. On top of that, there was not one mention of it on their site. During a fit of rage, I accidently installed it from the CD and it worked. Does that make any sense? Not to me it doesn't.

6. Soulfire

Computer #2 that I tried this on actually had its own serial port. But sadly I must have transfered whatever "bug" or "virus" is causing this from my flash drive, because I got the exact same error when I tired it on that computer.

The funny part is that USB-Serial adapter works perfectly fine with the other applications I use it for. I know its not a faulty device.

7. Soulfire

well, this problem did not arise after an install. the original problem manifested 2 weeks ago, but before that, the software was working just fine. Somehow the laptop got infected with some kind of sickness, and I think I passed it on to 3 other computers.

But of course, I will try re-installing or re-downloading. At this point any suggestions will help because I have tried everything I can think of.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

If a fresh computer works, it may have been a Windows Update as well. I had one that would reset a workstation if you remote controlled it. Blocked the update - no problems!

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I haven't really used any of those USB->Serial cables... Do you still have to setup your com-port settings?

10. Soulfire

Not really. It defaults the com port settings. I actually use other devices/remotes through this same USB->Serial adapter. I have checked every component in my arsenal, and it seems the culprit of this issue lives somewhere on the PC. I swear, it has to be a virus.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds to me like the installer you have on your flash drive is corrupted.

12. Soulfire

Kaspersky just reported no threats.

:wtc:

I guess I will try a download of the software and a fresh install again.