having a spotter is "cheating"?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ohgod123, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

so apparently some people i know consider it to be "cheating" or "less manly" to have a spotter. my question is this: when a guy has a spotter that helps him lift off and leaves his hands there as mental support and giving as little help as possible, does that really take a significant amount of credit away from the weightlifter?

and what if the guy is giving adequate help but the weightlifter is still doing most of the work?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

why would he keep his hands on the bar...? what purpose could that possibly serve except him rowing the weight up for you?

3. NUDES

NUDES New Member

it is "cheating" if his hands are kept on the bar. my girlfriend hands off to me and goes afk until i'm done, if the bar goes downwards when im trying to complete a rep then she takes it. there is NO reason to keep your hands on the bar

4. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

the purpose of the spotter is to save you from being pinned if you lose control of the bar or fail on your last rep...not to help you lift the weight. and a spotter telling you "i barely touched it, it was all you" = he helped a lot.

5. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

well for me...i start to have a mental block when i feel that the weight starts getting heavy for me...2 plates for bench...40 lbs on each side for preacher curl...or 80 lbs for each db on incline bench(keep in mind i weigh around 152-153 so i don't want to drop an 80 and snap my arm off or something). i just feel more secure and i can still rep the weight like i normally do without a spotter.

just double checking:the consensus is spotter's hand on the bar is cheating?

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Hand does not need to touch the bar until you begin to fail at the rep.

You don't need his hands there all the time, especially for light weight like 225lbs.

7. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

oh and also: when a weightlifter does not touch the bar to his chest when he is benching, that is not considered to be a full rep, is it? same thing with when he is doing preacher curls -- if he is not going all the way down, he is not doing a full rep, correct?

DTR: i understand 225 might not be heavy for you, but for a lightweight-middleweight guy like me at 153, it's still somewhat hard for bench

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I am not referring to your difficulty with 225lbs. I am saying that iff 225 starts to come back down on you or pins you for even a second it won't hurt you... Keep your spotter around to pull the weight when you fail the rep. Having his hands there the whole time is going to fuck you up mentally.

As for touching the chest... that's relative. Many people don't touch the chest because it requires that elbows (in some cases) go below parallel to the ground. That will bother some peoples shoulders. As long as you're getting a good range of motion and at least doing 75% of a full ROM then you're fine.

9. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

DTR: if a person is benching and the bar is about 5 inches above the chest, would you consider that 75% of full range of motion?

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

BTC or die

11. NUDES

NUDES New Member

im not trying to argue here but people do not touch their chest 99% of the time because it is harder and because of their ego. not everytime, but 99% at least.

to me there is little excuse.... but that sjust me.. if dave tate can touch his chest with this list of shoulder problems:

• Right shoulder: I've had a torn supraspinatus, bone spurs, and now have arthritis. I had this shoulder cleaned up with the AC shaved down to allow more movement, but am now experiencing almost all the same ailments in the same shoulder. Doctors are talking replacement.

then i think most people can. :o

12. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

nudes: i tend to agree with what you're saying...but i don't really say shit to my workout partner that benches with the bar a few inches from his chest.

13. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

There's a big difference between 'touching' your chest and bouncing the weight off your chest

14. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Agreed. It's harder on most people's egos than it actually is their body. Same with dumbell pressing. Sure, you can grab the 80s or 100s and bang out a ton of reps, but you're barely going down to like a 3 board position.

15. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

:hs: I need a workout partner. i eschew bb bench.

16. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I use a spotter when going heavy. But I tell him to keep his hands away from the bar unless I am going to drop it on myself. It messes with my head mentally when someone touches the bar I start to think I am struggling. Next rep, I struggle.

17. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I cant stand it when the spotter touches my weight.

I wanna know its just me and the weight and i wanna KNOW it was all me.

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I tell people spotting me to not touch the bar unless I say something or drop it on myself. I've had to stop training with people because they couldn't keep their hands off the bar.

19. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Yea getting pinned is really manly. :ugh:

20. Ep

Ep Guest

I started working out with a friend to get a free month added to my membership but he tries to pick up my weight if I don't lift it in .5 seconds. So FUCKING annoying

21. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i like having a finger from each hand on the bar or almost touching... i donno why but it makes me more confedent

22. solarian

solarian ya heard

the only reason you need a spotter is if you physically cannot push up anymore. you should only need a spotter for benching, but I have seen people help out on curls.....what the fuck is the point of that.

23. jonno

jonno New Member

sit him down and have a serious discussion bro. talk it out :hug:

24. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

because they are applying force to the bar...thus doing some of the work for you...

25. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

I always use a spotter on max effort bench days. 1. Having a hand-off is much easier on the shoulders. 2. Its obviously safer. 3. Sucks if you miss the lift and have to yell for help to get the bar off your chest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.