SRS Having a hard time with college

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drifter87, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Well ever since I got to college, things have been going down hill. Just as I think things will start to improve it just gets worse.

It started with when I found out I was about 2 classes behind in math and 1 class behind in writing. No big deal just got to go to summer school.

I joined Army ROTC, because I really wanted to be in the army and they said they could get me in even though I have flat feet. All I have to do is just take the Military Classes and move some of my regular classes around so I can do everything. After a few weeks they say my medical waiver is denied and I have no future with the army.

Just as the Army ROTC said good bye, I found out because ROTC made me move my Java class around I was in Advance Java (kids with APs) when I should be in Beginner Java (kids with out APs and zero coding experience). So I quickly fell far behind in my Programming Class, since that was my class affected by ROTC. On top of that, not matter how hard I study I can't seem to do well in my other classes. I'm getting extra help it is just not working.

I think my GPA is >2.0 with tons of work and help.

Socially all kids do here is play video games, or get in trouble with campus safety and end up on probation or get kicked out. I tried joining clubs (Anime, Lacrosse, Hunting), but the clubs rarely met or did anything, or the kids didn't like me since I wouldn't go smoke pot after the meetings with them. Rarely any parties, if there is one, it is just one giant sausage fest. The school is mostly male, so the girl situation is bad. The girls I find cute have a b/f or just aren’t interested.

I tried talking with my parents, they are telling me to hang in there and everything will improve. At the rate I'm going I will not be around for Spring Quarter. My grades are crap, even with tutoring and the hours of effort I put in. I'm not even into the classes for Majors yet and I'm doing poorly. (Currently Computer Engineering, looking to change to Information Technology or something else)

I just don't know what to do

2. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

"While most people are dreaming about success, others wake up early and work hard for it."

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think you should listen to your parents and push thru the whole odeal, you already made your choise and i think its important you don't give up, i mean thats the whole idea of the school system, they want to know who will hold on to the end, and those who can't drop out. You shouldn't go into any of those kiddie groups, if your in new york as your location states, then there are tons of places to hang out and meet new people, wouldn't restrict myself to your school system, just be carefull now and hold on.

4. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Um... change colleges. Seriously.

I went to Cal Poly for one semester. Huge party, stoners, stupid classes. My god, what a waste. I stopped and met up with a college advisor. She discussed what I wanted in a college and then she told me which ones I could afford and I would like.

My top criteria? I wanted a college with more women than men. I ended up going to Dominican University of San Rafael, in CA. It is a small liberal arts school that had previously been an all-woman campus. The advertised F-to-M ratio was 4-1. When I got there, it was more like 7-1.

Needless to say I had a 1.24 GPA my first semester... :big grin: But I finally got my act together. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA and had a good time. Nice small classes, great teachers, etc.

And as my dad would say - the ONLY reason to go to college is to meet people who are smarter than you, both in and out of classes, and learn from them. Your grades have no bearing on who you are or what you will do after you graduate. Just get through the basics and then focus on what you really want to do. Get out in 4 years and you'll be all good.

P.S. If the girls are not interested in you, then you should work on your dating skills, too.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

you went to Dominican?

Yeah, it was an all Girls school. My last year of HS I think was when the admin chnged, changed the name and revamped everything.

Every girl i met there was a fucking snob though.

I went to HS right near there, in SR (TL grad) but now at UCSD.

6. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I'm in upstate new york, the city is about 6+ hours away. I don't have a car and I'm a poor college Student.

I need to find a school with IT to transfer to, but I can't seem to find any.

I've been strugglin for far to long. I'm ready to do work, but I can't take struggling and always being behind anymore. Even with help and 100% of my effort.

For the girls, I'll admit I'm not the best at getting them, when they each have 2-4 guys on them, I go unnoticed.

7. slims

slims New Member

RIT is the bomb, but every major school has IT now. Shouldn't be hard to find a school that has it.

In that situation, be the jerk who's loud and funny. You've got to get the girls attention, and have her digging you. Honestly though if she's got 2-4 hounding her ass already I wouldn't be into it, she probably has an inflated ego and not going to be easily trusted. Just my 2c.

8. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Yeah, graduated in 94. Girls were not stuck up to me... :dunno: I had lots of GF's and such. Sure, there were some bitches, but welcome to the real world.

I lived in SR and Novato for a while. I'd love to go back, nice area.