SRS Having a hard time waking up..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SoySauciAl, Nov 8, 2006.

1. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

I've been having a hard time waking up in the morning and its not that i dont get enough sleep.. i get 8-10 hours of sleep. I show up to work whenever i time as long as its a reasonable time, you know cant go to work at noon or anything.. i usually wake up, lay there and really really want to just go back to sleep. it just feels so good doing that.. you know, you wake up, still tired, and fall back to sleep.. thats the best feeling in the world. and i usually do. usually i have a good dream, wake up, and go damn.. back to reality. its not like life sucks for me or anything.. i dont think im that depressed, but things can be better. maybe its because i have nothing to look forward to that day.. i know when i have something cool happening that day, i wake right up nice and early with no problem. i feel like im sleeping too much, sometimes 10-12 hours and feel all grougy throughout the day. if i get up, make myself actually sit upright.. i'll be fine.. but that little step is so hard to do and so tempting to just lay there. any suggestions?

2. pixing

pixing New Member

set an alarm for a reasonable hour at the same time each day

when it goes off, get up

the snooze alarm is the worst invention in the world for good sleep/waking habits

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Do you excersize? Regular excersize will give you a better sleep schedule and more energy throughout the day.

4. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

12 hours is a bit much. 7.5-9 is (generally) the right amount of sleep. There is such a thing as sleeping so much that you're groggy all day.

Also, you may be waking up during stages 3 & 4 sleep, which is when your body is in its deepest sleep. Complete sleep cycles usually take around 1.5 hours, so consider that when you set your alarm each night. (Say you sleep at midnight... try waking up at around 6, 7:30, or 9.)

Exercise helps too, but try to do it during the day, if you do it before sleep it'll keep you up.

5. sp0rk in the ear

sp0rk in the ear New Member

I have the exact same problem basically word for word. The problem is that I like it so much while I'm doing it that it's worth it for me at that time to just go back to sleep. I find that if I really need to get up I set my alarm across the room so I have to get up to turn it off (and it's super loud so you can't ignore it).

6. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

You might want to get a sleep study done to see if you have sleep apnea. Also, it could be depression. You may want to discuss your issues with your physician.

7. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

i've been that type that doesnt need an alarm.. i just naturally wake up on time.. i usually wake up around 8 or 9 but fall back asleep again.. its weird.. when i do set my alarm, i always wake up half an hour to an hour before it actually goes off. and i HATE being awaking during a good dream.. i've been getting good dreams lately.

8. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Yea.. never though about my health. I dont excersize but my work is pretty physical.. not hard labor but a lot of moving around and bending over, etc. Plus i work in the sun where it can get very hot.. i started to think about my health too.. Im not a hungry person, so sometimes i skip lunch, or even at times breakfast and lunch. And i eat like crap. Not a whole lot of veggies or fruit. I just dont feel like eating some days. And i've been smoking about a pack of cigarettes a day. Things gotta change with that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  9. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Its weird.. i dont do that but i do have to pee sometimes early in the morning around 6-8.. then i'll be in the middle of a dream and all of a sudden the dream changes to me having to go and i could feel it in the dream where im looking for a place to pee.. and when i do pee, i go.. wtf? i still gotta pee! eventually i wake up and go pee and no i never pee in my bed. i hate that too.. i guess im a dreamer.. i love good dreams and hate it when it gets interfered or cutting short.

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Thats not really exercize that will increase your energy level. You gotta get your heart rate up. Some jogging or cross fit will do the trick.

Also I think we found the real problem. Horrible diet. Wake up at 6 am and eat something, anything. A pop tart and some milk. Takes like 3 minutes, and then you can hop right back into bed, but it will get your stomach to expand and get ready for the day so you are actually hungry by noontime. If I don't eat breakfast, I pretty much can go untill dinner and even then I won't be hungry, but then I feel shitty for the next two days. You gotta eat man.

11. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

thanks man.. that makes sense. just eat even if i dont feel like it.. i've never really been a hungry person even as a kid.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

the title is "how do I sleep less" but the thread actually talks about how to sleep *better*

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2824000

if you're actually sleeping 8 hours or 10 hours then you may be waking during the middle of a sleep cycle. Read that thread, it may help.

13. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I have been having a the same problem. Today I woke at an unknow time but I think it was around 9am. Then I was like fuck it, went back to sleep. When I got back up it was fucking 2pm. WTF... I wasted alot of my day already.