GUN Having a hard time deciding on a pocket gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by int3rnal, May 1, 2006.

1. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

With the warm weather in full effect, I've realized that my xd-sub is too bulky for summer carry. So i've decided to get a smaller pocket sized gun. I find myself leaving my gun behind because im too lazy too put my ccw rig on... Especially when making a quick run to the store or something, i'd rather just throw the gun in my pocket and not worry about it.

So far i've narrowed it down to the SW 642 Revolver or a Kel-Tec P-3AT. I like how small the kel-tec is, but i'm scared about the reliability and the .380 round. The 642 is obviously going to be more reliable with a bigger bullet, but the capacity is small at 5 rounds, and it isn't as small as the kel-tec.

Which would you guys choose and why?

2. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Keltec. I'm considering it also. The size is the sole determining factor in picking it. It's hard to get close to what the P3AT offers without a signifigant price jump. Not sold on .380 but as always, something > nothing.

3. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

Exactly. Either of my choices will be better than being unarmed. That hard part is picking one :hs:

I don't know anyone near me that owns the kel-tec so i'll have to find a range that rents them

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I have both. Just accept the fact that no gun is guaranteed to be 100% from the factory. Trust no gun out of the box, not even a revolver. Both are companies that will take care of you though. In fact both my 642 and p3at had issues. Early this year keltec changed extractors in the p3at and reports for out of the box functionality are very good though. I had to call keltec and ask for the new extractor. Either way very minor.

I wouldn't get rid of either, but if you can get only one, I would strongly advise the p3at. Its way thinner, its way shorter, it weight half as much. On the downside it prints more like a handgun than the 642, but its so small that won't really be much to worry about as long as you use a pocket holster like you should. You can also put a +1 magazine extension on the keltec and still keep it very pocketable.

Bottom line, you'll buy a j-frame sometime anyway but for right now both are weak rounds that no one should be carrying a jhp in anyway. You need an all-the-time gun and thats the p3at.

5. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the input! The gunstore near me has the kel-tec for $249, is this a pretty good price?

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I have a P32 that's been 100% reliable out of the box, great size (same at .380) and very easy to forget you're carrying it. I do want to pick up a Smit 442 at some point for when I can carry a larger pocket gun.

I had planned to pickup a Second Gen P3AT this year, but with the new PF9 coming out I decided to hold off.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

wait a little while, kel-tec is coming out with a single stack version of their 9mm very soon

8. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I was in the same boat as you with the XD. I have both a Service and Sub and sometimes I don't want to carry either. The P-3AT was one of the best investments ever. I don't even know I have it on me sometimes. It performs flawlessly at the range, but I can't bare to put more than 50 rounds through it at any one time.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I also bought the belt clip for it. I just slide it onto my belt, inside the waist band, and I'm good to go. Drawing it is very easy and just as fast as an XD with a CCW rig.

[​IMG]

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

11. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

P3AT loaded with Corbon DPX rounds is a pretty mean pocket package. the magazines are almost as small as a bic lighter so easy to toss a spare mag in your other pocket or in a pocket holster that allows for one.
    I have been thinking of getting a smaller gun for the quick dashes out the door and narrowed it down to a P3AT or a PF-9. While the 9 is bigger, it's still very easy to toss into a clip on iwb holster.
    I think the extra round and 9mm will make up for the size difference.

It's hard to pass up on a PF-9 when the price is going to run about 220-240 bucks.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  12. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

I'm a very impatient person, but I guess I can wait til it comes out before I make my decision. Any idea on when this thing will be released?

13. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

guessing mid May. Dealers have had the part number for pre order for about a month now, so it should be very soon. I am going to call down to the shop tomorrow and see if they have an order going and get on it. It's going to be a big seller so will be interesting to see how fast holsters come out for it. Since it uses the same barrel as the P11 I am betting the PF will fit.

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I have an early P3AT. Just put another 200rds through it last weekend, zero malfunctions. Mine hangs on the first round when you chamber it, requiring you to push the slide forwards. Oddity, but it has always gone bang when I pull the trigger.

Test it out before you decide on a really hot load, the .380 packs a kick in a little package like the P3AT, but for something small, flat, and pocketable, while still carrying a semi-serious caliber, it's tough to beat.

15. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I'd definately go for the P3AT. I've been thinking about buying one for a while now but I keep talking myself out of it because the PF-9 is coming out soon. I'll probably end up getting both in the long run,though.

16. sprite

sprite Active Member

The gun dealer I usually deal with thinks the P-3AT is one of the best guns KelTec makes in terms of build quality. He says he sells a lot of them to cops as a BUG. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I tend to trust and respect his opinion.

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

The PF9 release date seems to keep getting pushing when people inquire at the factory. Last I heard was more likely June. Too bad I'll prob wait till end of the year to get a Hard Chrome slide version.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Ignore the pf9 people, its the same dimensions as their p11 but thinner, which to me is too big for a pocket gun.

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

have you pocketed the P11?

length/height is fine, its just too wide, and prints.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    Check that out btw

The killer for me is that the pf9 is 1.1" taller, thats too tall for my pockets. I don't see .23" thinner making the gun disappear any better than it does from a pocket holster.The pf9 is also starting to get near the length of j-frame where the butt already peeks out of the pockets. Clearly a lot of people are eager for it, but I'm just not wowed.

21. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

How is it that your far smaller XD is too bulky, when I rock a Steyr medium frame automatic in shorts and a long t-shirt? Way bigger. I think your carry rig might be a bit bulky. Try a FIST IWB clip, easy on/off, and doesn't add much bulk.

I'm against pocket guns, just because I hate shit in my pockets. Knife and wallet are the only things in there.

22. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

maybe he's not as big as you? maybe he wears a different style of clothing and doesnt want to change a wardrobe? maybe he just wants to add another gun to his repitoir..what works for one person doesn't always work for the other.

btw, i want your steyr. NOW!

23. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I have had a P3AT for about 2 years now and I absolutely love it. I bought the additional pocket clip at the same time and it is so easy to throw in a waistband or pocket it's ridiculous. I have seen nothing (of even remotely serious caliber, .380 is as small as I'll go) that is close to being as easy to carry.

As for reliability, I have heard the stories but have never had any trouble with mine at all.

24. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

I didn't realize that the pf-9 is about the same as the p11 except for the width. If thats the case, then its definately out, I tried to put one in my pocket last week and I wasn't happy with the size. For some reason I expected more kel-tec bashing from you guys.

Right now the p3at has the edge, I'm going to try and rent it sometime this week at the range.

25. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

Well during the summer, my wardrobe is different compared to the cold weather, I don't have a cover garmet like a jacket or a sweater. Instead I find myself wearing tshirts and shorts. And you're right, I could definately use a new holster, but I like the idea of a pocket gun better.