MMA Having a dangerous guard

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FloppyCock, May 25, 2007.

1. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

A few months ago I realized that I have a passive guard. Since then I've only been rolling from guard, and I've seen some massive improvement.

Do any of you guys have any advice on having an aggressive guard?

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

chokes him with ur legs

3. chechen

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

5. chechen

i dunno.. i could be more constructive.. but i feel like its all stuff you have heard about ten thousand times :o

if you want to have a dangerous guard, just attack the guy a lot, work on your attacks. you know that

6. Sammo

Sammo New Member

7. Sammo

Sammo New Member

8. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I'm kind of in the same position. I don't feel comfortable enough from guard to open up and start trying for submissions for whatever reason. Maybe I'm not technical enough or whatever, but I really do just kind of sit there and try to work chokes instead of going for things that I seem to get caught with (triangle/armbar/etc). :hs: Just takes more time rolling.

9. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Its funny because its the total opposite for me. Since I'm such a small guy and whenever I have someone thats larger than me in my guard (which is like 90% of the time), they'll pretty much break my guard one way or another sooner or later. So that made me work on my open guard game a lot but I noticed my closed guard game was suffering so I've been focusing on that a little bit more. I always feel more dangered whenever I'm in a really tight closed guard compared to someone's open guard.

Another thing I noticed a couple months ago is that I was working my guard game a little too much and was on my back a lot just because I was getting really comfortable there. And I really lacked in the passing the guard department so I started to work on that more and its been coming along slowly but surely.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

have good head control. not necessarily like in that vid :bowdown:

11. Ricey McRicerton

I'm not really doing BJJ to compete. I do it becase I enjoy it, but I roll with a school of mostly guys that have been there way longer than I have, and the other guy who has been there less time than I have and comes to the "real" classes comes 5 times a week, so he passed me a while ago as far as free rolling. I lift 3 days a week and try to make it to the BJJ gym 2-3. :hs: I'm not planning on setting a time schedule to try and snag my blue belt, and whatever happens, happens. The majority of the guys at the school I'm at do compete, take this stuff much more seriously than I do, and basically live BJJ on and off the mat. The guy who's been coming less time than me has started coming to lift with me.

I went to pick him up, and saw him sitting on his couch reading a compisition book. He had 4 others on the table in front of him. They were notes from BJJ classes. He comes home from class and writes stuff down. :hs: Thats so freaking smart, but I'll never do it.

12. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I hate competing but I love winning, does that make sense??? Like I just want to train BJJ just cause I want to roll and learn new stuff but then I have this itching to show off what I learn in class at competitions but then when competitions come up, they take up so much of my time and put a lot stress on me that sometimes I don't think its worth it.

I think its great you just roll for fun, I envy you.

13. Ricey McRicerton

I catch a lot of greif for it, but I know I'm not the next BJ Penn, and even entering the tourneys that my school hosts doesn't hold all that much allure. I'd rather ref or work tables or something.

It definately makes sense that you like to hit a new move. Hell, I like to roll with the guys from class, but none of us are there to hurt each other. Of course we all get banged up. Broken fingers, bloody noses, cuts, all that stuff isn't all that uncommon, but I know when I wrestled there were guys who wanted nothing more than to come out and hurt you. I'm a grown ass man, and have a bunch of other responsibilites than my hobby of BJJ and don't need to let my yard to go to shit, or my job suffer because I got caught in a stupid spot where I didn't realize I was in danger and tore my shoulder up. :dunno:

14. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

How small are you?

I seem to end up pulling guard more often than not, and can usually survive down there provided I'm not rolling with one of the guys I train with that has a 100 lb. weight advantage. But as a result of it, my top game is horrible. We've got a couple guys who started training about the same time I did that I'm clearly better than, and can usually pass guard and get side control or a mount on. But the guys who have some time on me are so much better than me that I usually don't have a prayer against them.

I really wish we had a couple other guys who had 6-8 months more time than I do, instead of 2 years. For me, it's hard to improve against someone who's that much better than I am.

15. Ricey McRicerton

That's pretty much how I am. I'm a 3 stripe white belt and there is only one other white belt at my school. Everybody else is at least a blue or better because of the way the classes are divided up. I haven't really felt like I'm a little guy in real life ever as often as I do at class. I'm 5'8", 175 and pretty damn lean and am almost at least 30-40 lbs lighter than everyone else.

We have 2 classes a week for "beginners" where there isn't any live rolling and you go over more basic things like headlock escapes, positions, etc. We have 3 classes a week for the normal adult classes where you learn new submissions, more advanced techniques and have open mat afterwards where we all roll. I do get a lot out of rolling with some of the guys who are more calm, and realize I'm not really a threat so much as a guy that just wants to learn and have a good time with it. We have a few older guys who really go out of their way to coach me once we're done, or stop while we're rolling and say "okay, now I've caught you with this twice, and this is how you stop me from doing it" or "when you're here, all you need to do is put your hook in to catch me with this". Those are the guys that make rolling fun for beginners, and are the guys that you always want to partner up with. Rolling is no fun if you don't learn from it or your partner doesn't learn from it.

16. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Considering I only have about 2-3 months experience and I am completely new. I love guard....I love practicing my sweeps. I don't go for a lot of arm bars or triangles because I need more mobility and flexibility work......I do like to practice the chokes or use a choke to set up a sweep.....I like learning to have the ablility to control people with my legs....I try at least once a day to just use my legs to hold someone in guard....I usually can't hold someone there to long, but the time is getting longer....Correct me if I am wrong, but I think one of the most dangerous aspects of guard is being able to transition to a sweep and gain mount position.....

Side Note: Mainly practicing defense, sweeps and reversals.....I am ok at reversing mount.....I really need work on escaping side control and north south.....My shrimp while someone is controling me from the side is horrible....

17. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

My greatest strength off my back is my ability to get back to guard quickly/easily. That gives me the confidence to throw subs...I know if I let him pass my guard I can get it back:dunno:

18. Placebo

Placebo New Member

It's as simple as this. Work on your hip movement and flexibility big time.

19. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Do you know any drills for good hip movement? Armbar and triangle drills help me a lot, are there any others like that?

20. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I think having a dangerous guard (for newer guys) is just going with what you are comfortable with and what your strengths are.

Personally I have long legs and good flexibility so I break down posture and climb my legs for an armbar or a triangle. If the guy is strong and can get a good base and posture I just sit up and attack with a sweep, kimura, arm drag to the back, or guillitine. Just forcing the guy into my strengths makes me very comfortable from my back. I catch way more guys from guard than from anywhere else.

Then again what the fuck do I know.

21. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'm 5'3" and 135. The smallest guys there have 30 lbs. on me. We have a police officer who's about 6' and 215 (he claims.. I'd say 230 easy). I had him in guard one night and threw a leg over his head and got an armbar locked up on him.

He stood up with me hanging on his arm. It was quite funny.

We had one guy who had a blackbelt who was fantastic to roll with, because he'd go slow and coach the beginners through various positions, then counter and do it again. But he got transferred to Phoenix. He was also another bigger guy. I had side control on him and he basically benchpressed me to get me off. That, also, was quite amusing.

Another guy who's at my school is a new transfer from a different school, and I'd guess they treated newbies differently. He'll try and get a sub ASAP when we roll, and doesn't really care if you're a 1 week white belt or a 10 year blackbelt. Which is fine, because his standup is awful and on nights we box he gets knocked around like a bad puppy.

Like someone else said though... It's a marathon, not a sprint. I've got to learn to work with what I've got and and go from there.

22. Searcher

Searcher New Member

This is a strategy that I am trying to employee right now....Not so much with the armbar and triangle yet, but all the rest of it....How tall are you....

23. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Once you get the flexibility and hip movement in check it's having a dynamic guard that makes you dangerous. Transitioning from armbar to triangle to omoplata to toe hold. Realizing that you are having a hard time from open guard so you switch to butterfly or x-guard and sweep, etc....

Just be constantly in a aggressive yet tight disposition.

24. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I used to do that, but then I got lazy :o