Having a bad day v. external HD and DVD burner acting up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Oct 4, 2006.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

So, first off I borrowed an external DVD burner from a friend so I could burn a few DVDs. So, I plug it in via USB (I also tried firewire) and then put in the blank disk. Then I get the little box saying "What do you want to do", so I select open finder yadda yadda. So, then it ejects the dvd, and it says "Dvd player not supported" I'm assuming this means I need drivers, but I can't find them anywhere, and my friend uses it all the time on his mac.

Next is my External HD. I usually have it plugged in via firewire. So, I dropped the big extention cord for the external DVD burner, and it hit the switch on my surge protector which shut off my HD. Since then I can't get it to connect, I've tried USB, Firewire, even tried rebooting etc.

Any ideas?

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

THe DVD burner is a Buslink, and the HD is a 120 gb Maxtor one touch.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

instead of opening finder when you put the dvd in, tell it to open up toast instead...

the harddrive thing...umm...turn off your computer, unplug the harddrive, turn your computer back on, plug harddrive in...?

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Yeah, I finally got the DVD burner to work, but of course now that I actually need the files on my external HDD that doesn't show up. I've given that a try a few times (the thing with the hd) but I'll try it once more, I'l be back in a bit.

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

HD is still hatin on me, the orange light turns on (recognizes that its connected) and it even starts making noise when I plug it in. Plus, last time I unplugged it I got the "Device not properly removed"

Anyone with ideas? I don't want to reformat it because I have a ton of stuff on there I can't loose.

6. skelm

skelm New Member

Is it not mounting or it is mounting but can't view any files on it?

Before you unplug the drive you should be dragging it to the trash (this will mean you can remove it without getting the device not properly removed error).