GUN Have you thought out a plan for a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Oct 21, 2006.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I started reading "Lights Out" and got to thinking, "What would I do if SHTF and a prolonged TEOTWAWKI scenario became reality?" The big unknowns/problems for me are:

Communication: Without a traditional infrastructure, how can I coordinate movement with my loved ones who live in Toronto and Iowa with me in Illinois?

Power: No generator and not that many batteries on hand for flashlights.

Movement: If I chose to move, I have two vehicles to choose from: my Maxima and my Rav4. Both get similar fuel economy but the Maxima has a 30% larger fuel tank. The Rav4 has AWD. In the event of a Mad Max-ish confrontation (high speeds on the highway, evasion, etc.), I'd rather have the Maxima as it's capable of over 140mph, accelerates quickly, and has a suspension that would allow for more aggressive driving in general.

Food: Yeah, I can take down game with the AR but I can't go out and kill something every day. I would have to learn to somehow store meat without refrigeration (underground??) Then there's the issue of cooking it; butane lighters run out after so many uses. It would be nice to have more of them around than the two I have.

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

what the fuck is a terowoataki ?

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

btw, the most important SHTF items, IMO, are a portable water filter (such as a Katadyn) and a chainsaw.

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

The End Of The World As We Know It

and no, I haven't planned for any of that - it's expensive and I'm pretty low on money.

5. Marmot

Marmot Guest

Some people have weird fantasies :rofl:

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

No. If the worlds does end as we know it I'll worry about it then. Have a good meal, find a supermodel orgy, save the last round for myself :p Something like that.

7. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

If the world as you knew it was ending, every vehicle can become your vehicle.

Personally, I'm going to fight my way to Canada and wing it from there. Not that it'll ever be necessary in my lifetime.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd do my best to find a secluded area that has a nice supply of water and shelter. Then I can relax and perfect my jerky for preservation of the food I kill.:yum:

9. ahead

ahead New Member

pick up this book. Tom Brown - wilderness survival. its a great book to have, lots of good info inside.

10. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Here are a few things that you can do to prepare without spending a shitload of money:

Have a simple, reliable, sturdy vehicle that you can do the basic maintenance and simple repairs on yourself.

Don't let your fuel tank get less than half full.

Get a concealed carry permit if your state allows it and make sure close friends and relatives know how to use a gun. Try to get them to get their CCL as well.

Buy some extra cans of food/boxes of pasta/etc whenever you go to the store. For $20 you can buy a couple of week's worth of food easily.

Keep a couple of containers of water on hand. If you have room for it you can get a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum for next to nothing (probably around $10 if they aren't free) from pepsi or coke bottling plants. If that's not an option just get a few of those 10 gallon camping containers and leave them in the closet. Remember that you need 1 gallon per person per day.

Keep your camping gear packed and ready to go all the time. If you don't camp and don't have camping gear you can get a basic kit together for next to nothing ($5 here and $10 there) if you buy used milsurp stuff.

Learn first aid and put together a solid first aid kit. Those $10 Wal-Mart specials with a bunch of bandaids and a few sample packs of tylenol don't cut it :mamoru:.

Buy guns and lots of ammo (I think most of us have this covered).

Get to know your area. Know the backroads. Have several alternate routes that you can use to get out of town. Buy some detailed maps of your area and any area that you plan to fall back to if you ever have to leave your home. If you plan on taking the interstate just remember that everyone else will, too.

Those are just off the top of my head. If you're in hurricane country, the midwest (New Madrid fault) or near the San Andreas fault then you're an idiot if you don't have a place to go and some extra supplies on hand. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a generator, have a fleet of atvs and own 40 acres complete with a bomb shelter to be better prepared than the average guy. You identify and prepare for the problems that you're most likely to encounter first (earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, major economic slump, blizzard, etc) and once you feel ok about those then you start to think about the big stuff (epidemic, zombies, world war 3, comet strike, super volcanoes blowing up, etc).

Society is more fragile than people seem to think. It won't take THAT much for everything to go to hell. Even if it's just temporary and things get back under control (*cough*Katrina*cough) do you want to be one of the victims or do you want to better your chances of getting through it? People that don't prepare for SHTF, to me, are like the anti concealed carry/gun crew. It's like if you start to prepare then they're just admitting to yourself that it could happen to you. Of course that's the first step towards becoming prepared for anything. If you want to keep denying that it can happen then you're screwed if it actually does. If it doesn't happen then so what? It's not like you're buying a bunch of crap that you can't use. You'll eat the food. You'll shoot the guns. You might have to use the first aid kit. Maybe having all of that camping gear sitting in the corner every day will finally encourage you to get off your ass and go do something :dunno:.

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

teotwawki is probably about the gayest fucking thing i have ever heard of.

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have bugout bags on hand for emergencies. 1 stays in the truck, 1 stays here until the winter comes and then it's moved to the truck and the 3rd stays in the house.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

but it tastes good :drool:

14. keleko

keleko yes, he is

if SHTF, SFL is gonna be SOL
    gonna be RFH to GTFO of SFL
    the hwys will jam-packed
    better hope you have a BFG and a boat

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not a diehard arfcommer I cannt say I have any real plans, I dont live in an area that natural disasters pose much of a threat, No quakes, a weak funnel cloud once every 5 years, been 80 years since the last big hurricane came through here. Last big thing to happen around here was the blackout a couple years ago no big deal. Terrorists? they'll hit the city not here so unless they set off a decent size nuke no worries where im at.

If something were to happen I have a enough non perishable food to survive on that for a few weeks. If I have to leave my home and head off to unknown places for an unknown ammount of time I'm half ready my camping/hunting ruck has most of the stuff in it I would need to survive.

Comms: Unless you both have a HAM radio and generator good luck communicating if anything big were to happen. When the blackout happend here a couple years ago my cell had no service, my house phone is electronic :o I was out of the loop. If something big happens even if there still up count on getting many all circuits are busy messages.

Power: sounds like you need to stock up on batteries, I have no generator dont really see the need for one here, power loss is very rare. I have plenty of batteries for most all of my battery operated stuff.

Movement: I think the RAV4 would be better especially if theres a possibility of having to go offroad. I would be going in my Exploder can fit plenty of shit in it can go offroad if need be.

Food: I have a firestarting kit in my ruck good cheap investment to have. I dont know of any ways to store meat w/o refridgeration other then making it into jerky. My problem would be if I were stuck at home for a long period of time my on hand food would run out and I'm in the suburbs so not much game around to hunt other then canadian geese and some ducks, but I have alot of guns and most people around here dont so... I'm not too worried :o

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well when the chinese paratroopers start landing in nashville you'll wish you had a plan for it :run:

:mamoru:

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I'm not prepared for the big Zombie attack. But I do keep stuff around in the event of a natural disaster. Enough bottled water for a week+ and food for a couple weeks. A couple years back we had a big storm that knocked out power for ~4 days. I also keep a basic mini-BOB in my backpack that's with me all the time. It's more of a get home bag. Some basic medical supplies and a meal of food bars. No home BOB (get out of dodge bag) but I have plenty of stuff available and vast amounts of forest nearby to "dissapear" into.

18. keleko

keleko yes, he is

not sure why you would need a battery operated dildo for, but w/e, it's your bag

19. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Wow, you are more of a man than I for knowing that. Now if it was a fleshlight....

20. keleko

keleko yes, he is

ah, see, now that is something that would make sense to have

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I don't worry about it, I live within 3 miles of the US Navy sub base, I'm well within the killzone. :o

22. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

motherfucking dot.

23. 99_civic_ex

99_civic_ex Active Member

Here's a plan: save at least one cartridge to / yourself if or when things really go bad.

24. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

I'd swim to Libya or something:dunno:

25. drm600

drm600 New Member

have some friends, family and firearms ready. with them you can protect and defend what resoures you have and acquire more from those who are less prepared.