Have you guys ever had....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Phishy4, May 23, 2006.

1. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

...a detail that you've turned down? I've got this POS cavalier in my garage right now that belongs to a co-workers kid. She wanted to get it buffed as a birthday present but man this thing sucks. The front literally looks like you bead blasted it with gravel. So, the paint that is still good, looks good after compounding and polishing, but theres not alot of it to be honest.

2. picus

picus New Member

When I see cars like that I just make the price prohibitively expensive. If they're still willing to pay I tell them to be realistic about the results then get to work. I haven't turned a detail down, but I have "convinced" people it isn't worth it (when it isn't worth it). :)

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

You could not have said it better.

Justin

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Same deal as Picus. When someone calls about a minivan or SUV dstail and I can hear their precious little brats screaming in the background, my price immediately goes up $75-100.

I turned down an overspray job that would have paid very well a couple months ago. Cement overspray on a oxidized white Civic. Only real way to remove cement is chemically (Top of the Line has it) and my main concern was the color of the product (yellowish) would stain the oxidized paint, so I'd either have to compound out the paint at my time and expense or even worse, pay for a repaint if the staining could not be removed. Plus, the lady was a real bitch and I didn't want to deal with her...even though I'd be doing the work through the company who got the overspray on the car. I saw no way of making this woman happy. Pass.

5. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I'm going to definately have to start being more selective. After OC and a Yellow LC pad (3 or 4 times in some spots) it still looks like shit under halogens. I'm not exactly sure where to go with it. I'm "fairly" sure they understand what a piece of shit it is, so hopefully they'll be happy with it looking better at least.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ive turned down a couple. Where the owner was a heavy smoker, and expected me to remove all of the nicotene stains out of the fabric. I just tell them im alergic to Nicotene (which i am slightly, cig smoke causes my esophogus to tighten) and pass.

Ive also turned down a couple of job where there was really bad interior mold. I told them id have no problems working the exterior, but the interior would have to be done on their own. To which the usual reply is "Im not going to get in there and breath all of that mold", to which i politely reply "well then, what makes you think i want to either?".

And as Scott said, when i get minivans, or wagons that are child infested, the price jumps. ANd usually they decline. I actually find that most familys will even balk at the standard $150 interior, exterior price as it is.

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Pretty much the same here, I just price it up :o

8. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

DONE! Its out of my damn garage. Turns out the reason the yellow pad wasn't doing anything was I was using too much compound and it was just getting saturated. I took a suggestion and went down to an orange with alot less compound and I could almost watch the swirls come out w/every pass. Don't get me wrong, it's still a piece of shit, but its a waaaay shinier piece of shit now. They picked up and were actually really happy, even got a $40 tip! :bigthumb: