Have You Ever Used Your AppleCare?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Devoidarex, May 7, 2006.

?

What is your Apple Care experience?

1. Bought it, used it, and damn glad I had it.

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Bought it, used it, and still regret buying it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bought it, never used it, and damn glad I had it.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Bought it, never used it, and regret buying it.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Never bought it, but I wish I did.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Never bought it, and I'm glad I didn't.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

Apple called the other day, trying to get me to buy AppleCare for my iMac core duo (20", 2GB RAM, 256MB video).

I told her to call me back in a few weeks.

Cost, with edu discount, will be $139CDN.

So, tell me how many of you are glad you bough the warranty, or who regret it, or who regret don't buying it, etc...

I've got a baby on the way, and now every extra dollar spent is being scrutinized.

2. toOn

toOn New Member

If you are computer literate then there is no need WHATSOEVER.
    You can solve all problems via forums etc on the web and I've found that OS X is reliable enough that it won't go wrong unless you are pissing around with something.

3. robwormald

robwormald New Member

fucking WRONG

you may be literate and not need the tech support, but an extended 3 year hardware warranty is > *

desktop applecare includes onsite service too :cool:

4. skelm

skelm New Member

You'd be a fool not too, $136 now may save you a hell of a lot more further down the line... and like you said you have a baby on the way, do you really want to be spending all of that money later on?

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

go with it for sure. I've had apple take care of about 600 dollars worth of repairs on my iBook, in addition to all the calls I've made (which would be no less than 30 regarding it).

Shit I'd buy another one if I could. A month after mine ran out my power connector went bad and that sent me back 150 bucks.

6. toOn

toOn New Member

I totally forgot about warranty.

I apologise and COMPLETELY take back what I said, I'm all for the extended warranty. Perhaps thats why I bought it in the first place but totally forgot - how retarded :hsugh:

$136 sounds like a bargain too... I paid £200 (~$350) for my powerbook.

7. thezak

thezak New Member

apple care saved my ipod.

er, replaced my ipod.

it was damn fast though.

8. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I never got applecare on my g4 when I bought it in 2002, and it would have been a waste of money because I haven't had any serious problems or even semi-serious problems with my computer since I've owned it. Seems like they should give out a free three year warranty with the purchace of a new mac, it doesn't seem so outlandish to me. Spending over $3500 on a new computer + monitor and only have it covered for 90 days or a year or whatever is bullshit.

9. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

uh, although i think it is extremly cheap of apple to have 90 day phone support, one year parts and labor isn't that bad imo..

on another note, if applecare only costs $136, it'd be extremly stupid not to buy it, that isnt that much money at all when you consider the comp itself costs $1500.. i mean think about it, lets say your LCD gets mest up? What if your HDD gets f'd up? are you going to open it and mess around with it? I would deffinetly go with the apple care if you plan to keep your computer for atleast 2.5 years! :)

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

The AppleCare on my PowerBook has come in handy... I've had two hard drive failures, and have neded to have my screen replaced twice already. Very glad I bought it.

11. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I remeber my apple care costing more, something like $250.

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Explain what happened to your hd/screens?

13. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Depends on what you get probably.

I got a reminder that my 1yr is ending (this month) and the offer to extend it for $250. I didn't add it when I first got the computer because I read it starts when you buy it, not at the end of your 1st years worth of free coverage. So you end up losing a year.

I'm gonna go for it because it says it covers a monitor if you bought it w/the computer at the same time. So my 23" ACD will be covered, which at the time was almost the same price as the tower itself.

All for 3 years.

14. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Prices vary by model, the Laptops are signifcantly more because they are more expensive to begin with and also are moved arround more so more can happen.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...oa/wo/4.RSLID?pn=0&mco=251463A4&nclm=3BF9A3F6

the iPod ones are 60, iMac eMac ones are 170, Macbook pro and powerbook are 350, iBook are 250, mac mini are 150, Displays are 100, and powermacs are 250.

15. Devoidarex

Yeah, I've never called tech support for any product in my life, but I definitely can't fix a f***ed superdrive or something.

16. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so when i buy my mac mini, i should buy applecare just before 1 year after owning it is up? kinda stupid for anyone who bought it right off the bat, the first year is already covered (except for inhome and phone support, but i can drive to an apple store if i need to)

17. robwormald

robwormald New Member

it doesn't make a difference as far as the warranty itself, but applecare gives you onsite for desktops...that doesn't come w/ the standard warranty

18. robwormald

robwormald New Member

and if you forget to buy it before the year is up...you absolutely can't buy it after 365 days and then you're stuck.

19. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i've used it at work on my g5 there...my dvd burner died, they sent a rep the next day to replace it for me :coold:

20. dorkultra

yeah, i just read it in the terms
    "To qualify for the AppleCare Protection Plan,
    your product must be within its one-year
    Apple hardware warranty."

so i'm guessing if i bought it 1 day before the one year anniversary, i would have wasted some of the applecar plan, like what, 10 months worth?

sucks to live in florida: "Note: The AppleCare Protection Plan cannot
    be sold to consumers residing in Florida."

21. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

let's put it this way, you have one year to make up your mind if you want it, but, after that year even if you want it you're SOL. if you DO need it, say a mobo does, or lcd is fucked, it will pay for itself. applecare also increases resale value

22. Devoidarex

no, apple care extends the warranty to 3 years FROM THE PURCHASE DATE OF THE PRODUCT, not from the purchase date of the warranty.

So if you buy it at the end of one year, you will get two more years of warranty.

23. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

The first hard drive developed bad sectors over time. The second one just stopp spinning up altogether... I'm now using the third in an external enclosure, and had a 7200rpm drive put in instead. For the screen, the first one had these white "cloud" looking smudges on the screen. The second one has a 2" thick vertical line that runs down the left hand side... it's really only visible at angles, and if you display "true" colours on the screen (full red, full green, or full blue). I'm going to get that problem taken care of in the next couple of months.

24. dorkultra

$99 for applecare for a mac mini...seems like a no brainer for me
    what kind of bums me out is that total for a core duo with student discount and tax and applecare comes to: $948.24 through the apple site
    and i can pick it up at the college computer store
    if i buy it through ebay, i can get a core duo + applecar from apple.com (+tax) for $862.89
    i think it's worth the wait