SRS Have you ever realized you don't know who you really are?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChelleBelle82, May 25, 2007.

1. ChelleBelle82

ChelleBelle82 What the FRENCH? Toast

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. Except for a few things, everything I like/enjoy was because someone else I know liked it. My earliest memory of doing this was when I was about 10 and a friend liked the Braves so I liked the Braves. Well apparently I never got out of this habit because I don't seem to know who I am. The movies I like, things I believe in, all seem to be influenced by someone else. I don't know how to explain it because obviously movies aren't a big deal but it just seems I don't know who I am or what I really like. Does anyone know what I mean?

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Spend some time alone and develop your own interests.

3. Takitome

Takitome New Member

It's quite normal to go through periods like that several times during your life.

4. ChelleBelle82

That's part of what got me started on thinking of this. My husband and I just moved to Ocala, FL where we know no one. I have been home for the past week by myself because I don't start my new career until June 8. Basically I've been reading and thinking way too much. I don't know what to do to meet anyone and realized I'd come to depend on the friends I had back home from work and school and have no idea how to meet anyone. There isn't anyone we live around I can talk to. I've gone to the library, and my husband and I went to the bar the other day but I don't know how to approach people I guess. I know I'll meet people at work but I suck at life right now!

5. glass

glass New Member

having your tastes "influenced by someone else" doesn't disqualify them from being your own tastes. often it's having their insight into what makes XYZ great gives an appreciation you couldn't have gotten otherwise.

"i know who i am. i just can't articulate it." i think this is true for me, and might be true for you too.

6. ChelleBelle82

Another thing that tends to depress me is when something gets old. I am always on a "high" when something is new but I crash when it's not brand new.

7. kEVOgt350

kEVOgt350 Like a flashlight on but lost, my energy's there b

a buddhist would say this is normal. everything in life is learned from the moment you're born. your mind influences you to like or dislike things based on people and experiences in your life that have molded you into what you are today. these interests you share with your friends are completely valid in my opinion because even if you like it for a lot of the same reasons there are going to be elements that you found more enjoyable than your friend and vice versa. maybe what you enjoy is the unity it brings between you and your friends rather than the activity itself. i think the problem is that you are having difficulty enjoying these activities to the extent that your friends do and as a result you feel like these interests don't belong to you, but i think it's fine. you just need to find something to a higher degree that you can honestly say you enjoy on your own. first, do what falconer said, look around online and see different things that people are into. find something you like and then discuss it with people online or in your life that share that interest.

im not buddhist btw. just been to a lot of services for buddhist relatives and thought i'd share.

8. kEVOgt350

kEVOgt350 Like a flashlight on but lost, my energy's there b

yea, i get that sometimes too. it's normal. if it can't hold your interest then it's not for you. might be hard to find what you like, but im sure there's something out there.

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I'm the same way. I just love trying new things while most people really enjoy the comforts of familiarity, sometimes to the point of stubbornness.

Our way isn't the best way to live. We sow a lot of seeds but forget to water them. In the end we'll have many more experiences, but we also have a craving for stability.

10. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

dude i feel exactly like it sometimes i feel like jason bourne seriously

11. walkingongreen

walkingongreen New Member

it is very normal for many people to feel as you do, one of the best things that u can do is surround yourself with friends and family. Have a good support system around you and don't stress out about not knowing yourself just yet. Take ur time.

12. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

I'd suggest you start WRITING, seriously. Start a journal or blog and begin recording your thoughts and you'll start finding things out about yourself.

13. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

keep in mind you'll be starting work soon and that will help, don't you think?

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I love that song , ' i am myself and no one else' , and that other one ' nobody's gonna breaking my style, nobody's gonna turn me down, oh no i got to keep on moving '

You know that stuff happens to you when you only copy others. I also had to learn to 'think for myself, or let somebody else do the thinking for you'. So you need to stop copying others and start defining yourself.

I always say, you are like a rough diamond, that you need to chisel into the most beautifull shape that you want it to be.

The paths that you take in life,must carve your own beauty and define who you are as a person.

You know i also had one person telling me this bull crap that i didn't know who i was. I tell you here and now that it doesn't mean a damn thing who you are , what matters and defines you in life is what you do today, you don't have to look back on who you are, its a past thing, it doesn't change anything in retrospect of what you have to do today to make your life succesfull. You are going to do the same thing anyway no matter wether you where some chinese or Judas in a previous life, the climb to overcome this mountain called life will stay the same for you. So its simple you are that guy that wakes up every morning who has to bust his ass to make a living, i mean who has to carry that load, that's you right? So it means that what you did on that day defined what you are,regardless of what that activity or lack of activity is, that's you.