SRS Have you ever been let down by someone you looked up to?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by horseracing, Feb 13, 2009.

1. horseracing

horseracing New Member

Have you ever had a mentor who fell off the pedestal? If so, what happened?

2. Lisa in OK

Lisa in OK New Member

I lost all respect for them and ceased to take them seriously. But that person is still my manager so I continue to do my job to the best of my ability.

3. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

tom cruise

4. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

No cant say that I have

5. sundance424

sundance424 New Member

All the people I looked up to at one point or another let me down. Just part of getting older I guess.

Unfortunately now I don't really look up to anybody, probably because I know we are all human and will eventually fall.

6. jdm-cd5

jdm-cd5 Guest

you shouldnt look up to anyone. every is human and is destined to fail one way or another.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's nonsense. Everyone is human, but everyone is better than other people in certain ways. It might all come out in the wash, but that doesn't mean their admirable traits aren't worth admiring.

8. Daria

Daria New Member

my mother. when I was younger all I saw was her working her ass off constantly and I envied her for her amazing work ethic. I praised her in school as my hero and the person I look up to the most.

However, she let me down alot growing up. She would promise to buy things or spend time with me and my sister and then cancel at the last minute. All the time. I loved my mom so much, I believed her every time and was crushed every time.

When I grew older, I found out all the stupid choices she made which let to her having to work so hard to pay off all the money she borrowed to get her out of the consequences. I lost alot of respect for her because I didn't think she was stupid enough to do some of the stuff that I found out had happened, but I also had some respect left, because she chose to work and pay the money back, instead of going bankrupt or going on welfare, even though we were well below the poverty line and my family qualified big time.

Growing up, people always told me that my parents are only human and they make mistakes. I always tried to see things that way, but the way that she worked made me feel like she was capable of everything and that she was an exceptionally dedicated person. It was only until I discovered the bad things about her past, that I truly understood the mean of "parents are only human and make mistakes".

Nowadays, when my mom makes poor decisions, I look at her as any other person and not this godly figure I thought of her as before. I think my relationship with her has improved since then, because I am able to be more understanding when she does something I don't think is right.

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

all the time.

It appears I set my expectations of myself and others way too high.

10. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Good 'ol mom.

11. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

I was. I was the little kid who hung around with the one older cool kid. And he taught me a lot, and then let me down. he killed himself, and it dissapointed me. even now that i understood the reasons why he took his life, i vowed not to deprive a younger person in need of my knowledge and friendship, ever.

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

or maybe you could realize that everyone is human and will fail occasionally. Just because someone failed once doesn't mean they are no longer worthy of respect, and they can often be excellent role models in how they handle their failures

14. P-Nut

P-Nut Active Member

I have a family friend that was always a good business man. Made decisions that are good for others, not just himself. He is a senior exec for an oil company and gave up his bonus, 2 million so the "workers" can get bonuses. He makes millions anyways. He won't miss it.

Anyways, right after Christmas, he and another guy got into a car, old Porsche, and drove recklessly and wrecked. Killed the other guy. He was so irresponsible and it is hard to look at him now. I cannot say whether there was alcohol involved as I do not want to know at this point. There is still a civil case to be had.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Man, that sucks.

However, if the passenger knew he was getting in a car that was going to be driven recklessly, with the intent to experience that recklessness, then your friend is not entirely to blame.