SRS Have you ever been in love?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Vysion, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Vysion

Vysion New Member

“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”

~Neil Gaiman

2. Unspun

Unspun New Member

I love love. I love the idea of love. I love all that love represents. I love everyone I have ever loved still. Love is a beautiful thing in it's own right, whether it is returned or not, because love isn't selective, it just IS, which is what makes it so great.

Neil Gaiman is amazing, but so is love <3

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Love never hurts. Expectations are what produce hurt. You'll learn this over time.

I've been in love a number of times, and I never was entirely vulnerable. I still protect myself minimally even with those I'm closest too. In my opinion trusting and loving another human being unconditionally isn't possible. Giving your life out of love isn't unconditional either.

Love can always be bent and broken when it's another human being you've given your heart to. Even two who love each other can encounter life circumstances, such as illness, that one or both partners can't tolerate any further and thus the love dissipates under the immense pressure and one or both partners go their separate ways.

Many say love is an emotion, but in my opinion, love is a verb. It's an action, it's "motion, not e-motion." Love is real, strong, but also can be perceived as tragic, but only if unreasonable expectations are present.

For example, the wife who loves her alcoholic husband may stop enabling his alcoholism and leave him. She loves him enough to let him go, but of course he doesn't see it that way. His "expectations" cause him to perceive her as a spiteful bitch who is abandoning him.

Love is "always" kind. It saves lives, it encourages, it provokes growth (but growing pains aren't caused by love).

I may not know much, but I know that.