Have to Get A Mac For Film College

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Nov 2, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Aei yei yei, the dreaded day has finally come where I have to start considering a mac. I work on a 17" iMac in desktop publishing, but now I have to get one for Final Cut Pro. So question is, is a iMac 20" sufficent enough to run FCP and all it's accessories smoothly enough? I'd really hate having to get a PowerPC, because in addition to, I would have to buy a new monitor and such. I'm also on a budget since I'm buying the thing myself, but I kind of want to reward myself with a decent, more upscalish pacakge. I guess I would start attending nex fall, so should I be looking out for any planned upgrades or anything?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

by next fall i say the osx intel boxes will be out

3. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

well the 20" imac just got a facelift, so i dont expect anymore changes to it utnil they start puttin the intels in em.

4. coronet

Hmm, alright. I've been hearing signifignant speed increases with the intel, so I will hold out for that.

5. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Only the mactel laptops are supposed to be out by next year, but who knows anything with apple. I'd say a 20 inch iMac would be a good choice to run fcp, the only thing is that you would be limited to working with media that works ok via firewire, because that's the fastest hard drive or whatever you;re going to be able to connect/store media on with an iMac, this is ok for dv but it might not work for other things, IMHO an imac might be a nice choice if you'll be able to buy a new computer in the next 2-3 years.

6. coronet

What are you saying? Use an external drive rather than the internal? :confused:

I do know my DV camera is supported by FCP, as it's on the list of supported devices on apple.com, if that's what you are saying.