A&P Have the opprotunity to buy a D50 right now..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Crave McSteak, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Coworker is selling a Nikon d50 for 350.. says it's in perfect condition. the wife has been wanting a decent camera for awhile now to start getting into photography.

Would a d50 be a decent starter and is 350 a decent price?

(I dont know shit about cameras)

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

$350 is too high for a D50. I've seen them go for $200.

3. Where should I look for a decent priced d50?

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I've seen them on Craigslist.

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

My D50 was my first DSLR (and still the only one I have). It's a great camera to start and learn with.

As for price... I see them on craigslist here going from 300-450 depending on what lens it comes with (it's usually the 18-55)

6. yeah the one offered to me was with an 18-55 and a carrying case.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

That seems like a bit too much, you can get a factory fresh refurb D40 kit for $375. A used D50 is going to be 3-4 years old already. I would pay maybe $250-280, any more just doesn't seem worth it.

That said, all the ones I've seen on craigslist around here have been too much, which is why I got the D40.

Now the D50 and D40 are different cameras, the D40 gives up a couple things (most notably the internal AF motor) and adds a larger LCD and viewfinder, better image processing, and the custom Auto ISO setting and other small tweaks. It's also smaller, which could be good or bad.

On the whole the D40 seems better to me, its one glaring deficiency is that it only autofocuses with AF-S lenses. Then again, the best lenses for it are AF-S lenses anyway.

8. is the internal autofocus motor a big deal?

Would it be a deal breaker for someone just starting not to have it?

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

To me personally, it is a deal breaker. 3 of my lenses are screw drive driven. Without it, say good bye to cheap primes.

10. quite the learning curve :rofl:

I need to read up on all this shit

11. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

:werd:

Definitely get a camera with an internal focusing motor.. once you get a bit more into this you're going to be sorry you didn't..

12. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

It depends. Like I said, the best lenses for this camera, for a person starting out on a budget, are all AF-S lenses anyway: the 18-55, 55-200 (or 70-300), and the 35mm fixed. There are other good lenses that will not be able to autofocus, but most are pricey and for more specialty uses.

One nice, cheap lens that won't autofocus is the 50mm AF, but that is not a "normal" lens on this camera like a 50mm on a film camera; for that, you want the 35mm.

It's really all down to what you want from the camera. For me, I don't expect to need anything I can't buy in AF-S for at least a couple years, and in a couple years I plan to upgrade to a D90 or whatever replaces the D90. If you don't plan to upgrade bodies before you want lenses you can't fully use with it, you might want the D50. Then again, by that time it might be so old that something on it breaks, or you're unsatisfied with its image quality and want to upgrade anyhow :dunno:

These were all questions I went over and over, and in the end I just went for the D40's overall value and let its limitations slide. That's not to say my conclusion is the only way, if I thought that I might have a website full of my own bombastic opinions :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009