COMIC Have the flagships lost it?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Bobbot, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Superman is the flagship of DC, and Spider-Man is the flagship of Marvel.
    Has anyone else noticed the lack of great stories churning from these titles?

What was the last great story that you can remember coming from any of these titles? Compare those to how often we see great stories coming from other titles (ultimate titles aside).

The last good story from Superman I can remember is...wow, I can't remember. Someone help me here. The last great story from Spider-Man was the clone saga I believe. And that failed horribly. But look at how they're trying to rectify it: they're unmasking him. Sure, this will fix it...but it's like killing Gwen Stacy. It's gonna sink or swim. This really changes the character of Spider-Man, so naturally, there's going to be a lot of new stories available now.

With Superman, they tried to make him lose his powers again and then regain them again. They also made him a super-processor now. Wow, good job DC! Give him yet another power! From what I recall, after COIE, they depowered Supes to make him vulnerable to magic. Now he gets his ass kicked all over. But that device became overused just like the kryptonite. How is giving him another power going to help? This doesn't change his character at all. Hell, if they wanted to change Superman's status quo, they should alienate him, ya know? Make the alien an ALIEN. Make the world hate him. Turn him from Jesus into Allah.

Bah. I'm just bored at school. If you don't care for this ramble, don't bump it. It'll die in a few days.

2. Hiero

Hiero New Member

I think that the last good story that was in continuity was the death of superman. When Lois was holding him up telling him to hold on and when he asked whether he defeated Doomsday or not...the next panel of her saying yes as he slumped in her arms and died was a powerful image in my opinion.

3. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

i have to agree.. in fact, the only 'great' superman arc was killing him off

4. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

I guess after you've been around as long as they have, it's hard to get fresh. :hs:

Weak excuse though. Let's kill them and bring them back to life again. Ya know, for kicks.

5. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

from the looks of it in CW :mamoru:

6. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

From what I read of Loeb's run on Superman it was good, I don't know about great though.

I did like Spiderman's "Gathering of the Five" and the whole lead up to it with Norman Osborn coming back.

7. Bobbot

Oh yeah, that Ezekiel stuff was great too. Hmm. I guess morning thoughts aren't what they're cracked up to be, eh?

8. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

I guess you could say their popularity/quality of stories goes up and down, it can't always be great.

You're probably also thinking of the run on Amazing Spiderman before Stracynski took over. I don't think I've met anyone who liked that time period either.

9. Trungtastic

Trungtastic OT Supporter

Superman Allstar is a good read

so is the Batman/Superman series

10. void

void oh yeah?

i was going to say...all-star superman has been a really popular and it's usually reviewed positively around the boards. but then again, the all-star is a continuity that's 'reset' like the ultimate universe is over at marvel.

this doesn't include all-star batman...that dude is just shit nuts.

"HEY ROBIN! LOOK AT MY BADASS BATCAVE!! HAHA IT'S COOL RIGHT!! RIGHT!!! HAHAHA LET'S GO KICK THE FUCK OUT OF SOMEONE!!!" :nikko: :nikko: :nikko:

11. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

The Other was a good Spider-man arc. I see good things coming in Spidey's future.

Superman on the otherhand is a total bitch. Superboy > Superman.

12. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

I think part of it is also that popularity in comics waxes and wanes. Comics are hot shit right now, hopefully to stay.

13. Bobbot

I think "the other" fell apart. There was discontinuity within itself because the writers didn't really collaborate, and then Marvel just kinda didn't go anywhere with it. But it's okay, you're new around here, you'll learn to evaluate comics yet! :mamoru:

14. void

void oh yeah?

can anyone say....SPIDER STINGERS! :hsugh:

yeah those got used a bunch :ugh2:

15. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

the second those poped out i thought to my self "marvel are you turning spider-man into spider-wolverine-man"

16. void

void oh yeah?

:werd:

i would say "dumbest move marvel made ever...." but that's a pretty stupid thing to say in itself :hsugh: :o

17. Bobbot

It was also an awful leap to make...spiders with stingers? Oh yeah, in the future...

18. void

void oh yeah?

then fucking give them to the exiles spidey...leave current peter ALONE!!

sure, change his fucking suit every now and again...but stingers?

STINGERS!!! IN HIS WRISTS!! holy shit...did they say "SNIKT" when the came out? i can't remember because i shoved a spork in my eyeballs so i couldn't see the pages.