have some quick detailing questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by victimizati0n, Apr 22, 2009.

1. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

1. when polishing the car you are suppose to rub the polish in back and fourth motions (not in circles) until the polish "disappears" correct?

2. when waxing, you should also apply the wax in back and fourth motions, and take the wax off the same way?

yes, i did see the sticky, but im not sure if that applies to wax/polish, or just the swirl remover stuff

also, i know wax fills in the high and low spots in your paint, and "blocks the pores", but what exactly does polish do?

2. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

ok, so i just did some searching, polish is actually an abrasive that will take away a fine layer of paint to take small scratches out

then the wax after that will seal everything up and form a somewhat protective layer over the paint

correct?

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you got it

4. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

with everything?

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

A polish is simply sandpaper in a liquid form. By applying it paint you are taking paint off of the car. Clear coat. The back and forth motion breaks down the abrasives by creating heat and pressure to remove the paint / clear.

You should clay the car before you polish however as if you have embedded fall out you could potentially make it worse.

Waxes / sealants are made to protect the surface from UV rays and other contaminants. Wax is less protective (most) than a synthetic sealant. It does not matter what motion you use to apply the wax / sealant as long as the surface is clean. I still use circular motions all the time.

Hope it helps.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Actually, wax offers more protection than most sealants, but sealant stay on the paint longer.

7. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I call bullshit on that.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Call bullshit all you want but you'd be wrong. Carnauba based waxes are more resistant to bird bomb etching than any sealant I have used; Werkstat, Opti-Seal, Z5, Klasse SG, UPP, Meguiars #20 all have been more prone to etching than any carnauba I've used. I am not the only who's made this observation either. Protection and durability are not necessarily the same thing.