MIL have questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by net_prophet, Jun 21, 2005.

1. net_prophet

net_prophet Tactical Texan

Some of you may have seen my other thread about my recruiter but his footdragging has me doing some thinking. I really want to join the Air Force and do intel work and hopefully do my tweenty and then go into a three letter agency or maybe even Homeland Def. Just curious if anyone could give me any insight into other branches doing intel work, intel work in general or maybe even other interesting jobs. If it matters I'm tweenty three, have 60+ hours of college, I'm getting married and I'm trying to figure out which branch and MOS would be best for me. I would love to hear anything you all have to say.

2. Accord

Accord New Member

You can't do 20 years in the military and then work for a 3 letter agency because you'll be way over the maximum age limit for an 1811 s/a position in FLE. If you want to do both, your only option is to do 4 or 8 years in the military then get out and apply for some 1811 FLE positions. The only FLE jobs available once you're over the max age limit are desk jobs pushing papers. Your years in the military will count towards your retirement pension and whatnot for all FLE jobs, so it's not like you'll lose your 8 years in the military if you go work in FLE. Also, if you want an 1811 position in FLE you need at least a bachelors degree and preferably a masters if you really want to be competitive, in those 8 years you're in the military you could get both.

If you stay in for 20 years though, you get a guaranteed spot at Arlington National Cemetary once you report for duty at heavens gates :bigthumb:.

3. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

A friend of mine just retired last month and did EXACTLY what you want to do.
    I asked him for you and his responce was this......."Whatever he does,tell him not to do something stupid like waste 20 years in an M.O.S. that has nuthin to do with intel just because he cant pass the background check"
    He is currently with a 3 letter agency in houston

He also said your age was an issue if you want to be a part of our BELOVED CORPS.
    He spent 3 years living amongst the citizens of honduras. Unofficially of course.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

He's only 23 :dunno:?

5. Solus Emsu

Solus Emsu ****** U N R A T E D ! ****** -----THAT'S HOW I RO

I was going to comment on this myself actually.

Let me give you a little testimony to this.

I joined.
    Was gone for 6 months school and boot.
    Went home for 2 weeks. Got to see girl. Got engaged.
    Gone for 3 months on ship.
    Went home for two weeks to get married. Got to see wife for two weeks.
    Got back to ship for 2 months.
    Flying wife out for 1 week.
    Leaving on deployment soon. Won't be back till next year.

If you add it all up. For a period of a year and a half, I will have only seen my wife a total of 5 weeks. I have missed both of our birthdays together this past year. Missed Thanksgiving. Missed Christmas. Missed New Years.
    When I get deployed next. I will miss both our birthdays again. Thanksgiving again. Christmas again. New Years again. Possibly even our first Anniverary (I doubt it though).

One day we plan on having kids. I just hope that the next time I get deployed, I don't miss my son or daughter being born. I already know that there will be times where I don't see them for half a year or more. Half a year they grow up so fast and you miss so much.

It has already been rough on both me and my wife. But at the same time, I only plan on doing my 4 years of service and she knows this is only a temporary thing.
    I don't think I could miss that much time with my family for the next 20 years.

Something to think about.
    You have to decide what you really want.
    And who knows, maybe it will work out better for you.

6. net_prophet

Did he have any other advice? If so I would love to hear it.

7. net_prophet

We have already put kids on hold indefenitly. Neither one of us is sure weather we want them or not. I do plan on trying to finish up my degree while I'm in. The thing is with my fiance's line of work for the first couple of years she is going to be so busy we would rarely see each other in the first place, we realize this is going to make it hard for us but we have spent a lot of time trying to figure out if this is what we think is best for us. I really appreciate all your input and look forward to any more you may have.