Have I left enough time to cut? v. 1 week.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by RockDaBoat, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Just kidding about the one week thing, so flame suits off please!

I've been bulking for the last 3/4 months and gained ~16lbs of lean mass while dropping ~2%Bf. Which, for my first proper, disciplined bulk (watching what I eat), I'm pretty proud of myself.

Anyway, I'm sitting at ~225lb @ 19% at the minute and I'd love to drop down to 200-ish @ 12%, I've got two months (I'm best man at a wedding and then I'm off on holiday a week later). What's the best way to approach this? Did I leave enough time?

I'll be honest, I haven't got a fucking clue about cutting apart from reducing calories. Could anyone point me in the right direction, a diet that's worked for you, something! I recently read a post about cutting carbs and they'd lost a big chunk o' weight in little time, I doubt that shits too healthy, but I'd look at anything right now. I also read about a water trick that may help to get that shredded look i.e. drink 1 gallon of water today, 1/2 the next, 1/4 the next etc so that my body keeps pissing out excess water, would this be worth doing?

And for future reference (I'll be bulking right after my holiday again), how long do you guys usually bulk and cut for? Do you aim to cut 2lb a week?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

The diet in the BB'er sticky worked fucking awesome for me.

3. knucks

knucks Active Member

Well for one, you are holding a lot of water, so you actually weigh less than 225..

I think it's definitely do-able, though. Check the sticky, count your calories, start doing cardio if not already.

4. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

5. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I've read the stickies and archives more times than I can count and the only reason I overlooked Purevls workout/diet for cutting is because I thought it was very high in calories and more for a skinny guy to build lean mass. I'm obviously wrong. I'll give it a shot. Did you do the workout in the sticky too, or just the diet?

Knucks, I agree with your water weight comment, what would you suggest? I swim 3 days a week minimum, sometimes 4 (I just started swimming last week, I forgot how hard it is!). I also play touch rugby once a week (nohomo:greddy:)and 5aside soccer (nohomo:greddy:) once a week... so I'm big on cardio.

Any other advice or experiences of cutting would be much appreciated!

6. Memor

Memor Active Member

The actual caloric total of Pur's diet on there isn't very high at all if you fitday/whatever it up

7. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

it's like, 2200, IIRC.

8. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Yeah, it just looks a lot more than it is.

Fuck it, I'll give it go! I'll do the work out for the next couple of months too, seems like a good body building plan, though all my training has been geared to 1rm and 3rm.

9. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

i followed that diet (Pur's diet) suggestion for 2.5 / 3 months, not strictly, but I did see really good results, got really lean and made the police tests I take effortless. I also felt better... mentally and physically felt good for once, way more energy eating healthy and clean like that.

10. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

dawt.. i tried it and was like, FUCK im starving, put it in fitday and sho nuff its like 2200

11. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I just threw all the ingredients into my local supermarket website, it'll cost approx. £70/week - $98/wk to eat that every day... . I better get lean, you fuckers! :fawk:

I might make a few allowances to save me some cash (an extra scoop of whey everyday instead of tuna, for example), but it's a diet that I'll enjoy!

Again, all suggestions are still welcome.

12. knucks

knucks Active Member

try to be real strict on it for a week and see if you drop weight. If you do, do it for another week and see what happens.

13. smb is me

smb is me New Member

if he's 225 would he need more calorie's than 2200? I'm 180-183 and getting leaner nicely on 2100 cals a day. Just thinking that if he's put that much effort into bulking he could stand a few more cals to retain mass and still get leaner. ???
    (of course i have been hitting the cardio real hard)

As far as expenses go, i would think you could replace the steak meal with another chicken meal, but you'd have less variety in your diet.

14. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

I cut on 2200 calories a day at 205-210 about 15% during summer. I wound up down around 9% (guestimate) at about 180. Dropped down to 195 the first week from water (my diet was shit before) and then lost a steady 2lbs a week. Didn't lose too much strength and what I did lose returned almost immediately after I increased calories back up a little. Its definitely doable and I'd start at around 2200 calories and see where you go.

My diet was mostly chicken, lean beef/steak, sweet potato, veggies, rice cakes, brown rice.

Brown rice is cheap, sweet potatos are cheap, chicken on sale is cheap. Should be able to eat for less than 100 a week if you adjust a bit, just monitor it on fitday and try to keep your macros where they should be. I aimed for 200+g of protein a day

15. smb is me

smb is me New Member

you are right.

I edited in the part about my cardio. I'm killing the cardio, so my results might not be as noticable on 2100 cals a day if i wasn't.

And you substitue oatmeal in for sweet potatos, and there's my diet. Damn in need to get back on dem sweet potatoes....delicious.

16. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

hey, and if you guys get sick of tuna, just add in about 6 oz of small shrimp (the cocktail kind) they are fucking awesome.

17. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

Good idea!

18. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll pick up all that I need by Friday and get started. I'll maybe take some pics and hopefully show you guys some differences!

I'm kind of excited. :noes::mamoru:

I'm going to cut to 200lbs @ 10/12% body fat and see how I feel and look and then decide whether to try to lean out more, or bulk up to 215/220.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  19. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Good job on being realistic too. I definitely think 225 @ 19% -> 200 @ 12% is achievable.

20. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Just noticed the time frame. You may have trouble doing that in that time frame. I think at about 1 lb/week you lose minimal muscle (3500 cal/week deficit), while at 2 lb/week you're sacrificing more muscle than most people really like (7000 cal/week deficit, or 1000 per day). Even at 2 lb/week, that's only 16 lbs, maybe an extra 3-4 lbs of water/carb weight. I wouldn't really be comfortable at even a 1000 cal/day deficit, I definitely wouldn't do more than that, but you need to decide what's most important.

21. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for the great reply.

That's why I wasn't sure about the timeframe, even with losing some water weight, it's a lot of mass to shift in only 2 months (healthily and without losing my bulk gains). I won't be aiming for 200 @ 12% in time for the wedding/holiday, like you said I'd probably lose too much muscle at those kind of calorie deficits. I'll lose what I lose up until the wedding and holiday and then I'll continue the cut until I'm at 200ish @ 12% and go from there!

I'm glad to hear people think that's a realistic goal, I've no idea what 12% at that weight looks like or feels like... I'm looking forward to it.

PS: The holiday shouldn't get in the way of the cut too much, it's a 4 day adventure holiday where I'll prob be at a constant calorie deficit going by the activities. Obviously the quality of diet will be affected, but nothing I'll worry about!

22. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I think 2 months should be fine to reach your goals. When you're in the single digits that's when you need to slow it down... that's when what ralyks says will hold true.

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Pur's diet is so funny.

When you first look at it you assume it's a lot food and probably around 3,000 cals or more. Then you actually fitday it all and it's only around 2,200.

I ran it for a while and got good results as well. My biggest problem is eating 6 times a day though. Shit is hard when you have school/work amongst other things.

24. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

We should ask the great indoors to make a shopping list/recipes so we can cook once on Sunday, and have food for the whole week while meeting Calories/Macro requirements. I'm sure they could throw something together.

25. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I'm a 227lb skinnyfatass so I'm going to do the same... I already eat pretty healthy most of the time, it's just that I drink on the weekends and eat fast food for 1-2 meals a week. I'll just cut out the fast food, minimize the drinking (every other week or maybe 3-4 drinks instead of 6-7), and keep my calories down to about 3,000 per day for a month, see where that gets me, and drop them more when necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.