GUN Have I ever mentioned that I'm jealous of the guys with land?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Sep 23, 2009.

1. I hate you guys who can just go out into your backyards and shoot LR. This is what I did after work today. I went out onto my deck off the master bedroom (it's got privacy fencing so my neighbors don't see me and call the cops) and dry fired at trees. Not exactly tactical or exciting. At least I have trees from 0 to almost 400 yards to dry fire at.

Ready for some tactical dry fire practice. Excuse the pile of scrap wood, we recently finished the new deck you see in the pic and we haven't had the occasion to burn the scrap in the fire pit yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These trees are ~150 yards away.
    [​IMG]

These guys are almost 400 yards away. I wasn't so much aiming at anything here, but trying to get a decent picture through the scope.
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty much ready to move out to MT or WY and get a cabin in the hills like in Shooter.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the pad I lived in when I was up in Montana. I had the bottom floor and my boss had the top 2 floors. Our neighbor had a shooting range in his backyard but it was nothing special. I could shoot rifle out to 200 into the hills. Probably farther but that's as far as I felt safe walking because there are mad 4 legged critter yo. Bear was a problem so where cougars (Other type of cougars you had to go into town to find.

Right above flathead lake and we water skiied and wake boarded all the time. In the winter I would plow the snow and make kickers to hit with my snowboard.

3. That's the shit I'm talking about. Just give me a bunch of acres. I remember JRucker had a pic of him shooting on some land with some rolling hills. Hell, I don't even need much of a house, just somewhere warm in the winter that doesn't leak.

4. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Wait a second...

Did you two just get along?

5. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

and new host yar.

6. It was an accident.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Winters are fucking cold dog. Froze my ass off. Living out in the sticks is cool. I liked it because I only did it for a year. I can see where it gets old. Say you want a burger you got to haul ass 20 minutes 70+ mph to get to the closest burger shack. You want to go to town it's about an hour again hauling ass as there there is either no speed limit or it's not enforced. Drive under 70 even on mountain roads and expect for people to try to run you off the road.

Montana is a unusual place. Go into town for a Costco trip and complete strangers start up conversations with you. This is hard to get used to because for city folk when that happens they are either going to ask for money or rob you. Run into somebody you know or met before and expect at least a 20 minute conversation. I had to wear disguises sometimes if I was planning a quick in and out run into town. I guess those round eye Montana kids have never seen a Asian in real life and they stare and follow you around. I once made the mistake of busting some Chinese at them and they just about squealed so loud their parents came running. That wasn't the best idea I ever had.

8. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You should have gone out of your way to do really stereotypical Asian things.

9. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

anyone have any idea for places in the northeast with land like this? prefferably within 5 hours of new york city?

10. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

I'm with ya MG

11. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I could set up an 800+ yard shot if I thought I might be able to hit the target repeatedly.

[​IMG]

I don't have photoshop on this computer :fawk:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I am one of these people. I don't go to Wal-Mart if I have something to do, because I never get out of their in under an hour.

That was the strangest part of meeting CA peeps. You are all cold, unfriendly, dicks. WTF could possibly be so important that you can't even say hi or "excuse me" or "my bad dawg, HOLLA" when you are running into a fucking person walking down a sidewalk. Do that shit here, and you will get knocked upside the head for being the asshole you are.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well it's most we are arrogant fucks. I still haven't gotten used to that shit. If I see somebody I kind of know I mostly just give them the cocky whazup nod. You know where you kind of lift your head up, mini head bob as you roll by. Honestly I don't want to talk to most people when I'm running errand. I'm on a mission yo and need to handle business. If I spy you at the bar I'll say whatzup

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Well I'm guilty of the headnod sometimes, especially when I'm busy; but hell, you can nearly always at least count on someone to give you that, even if you don't know them.

Just hard to meet people out your way. I'm a friendly guy and can usually get along with anyone. If I tried talking to anyone when I was out (this was the LA area) people would just straight walk away, give me dirty looks and generally act like catty, shitty people. Oh... and everyone was an actor/model I did actually talk to. And surprised that I didn't know anyone "in the industry", nor give two fucks about "it".

Fess' up.... when you go out do you tell people you are going to be a star actor in a Michael Mann movie to try and pick up chicks?

15. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I'll move with you. Only thing holding us here is our house and not being able to sell it. I am really ready to just sustain ourselves.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

we could all go in as a OT WMD Co-op

17. :werd: All I want is money to live and enjoy my hobbies. I don't care about chasing dollars and all that crap, I just want to be able to do what I enjoy.

18. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

I'm going to try and organize a long range shoot this fall. You're more than welcome to come out.
    Here's a google map of the land just around our house. Accounts for about 1/4 of what we farm
    In the following pic, the white X is the shooting position, the black O is the target I have circled at 1k yds, and the yellow X is just beyond where you can see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well you have to understand in CA we got vagants and all sorts or nutty people. When some complete stranger starts talking to you it's to ask for money, tell you about jesus, or setting you up for a mugging. At least that is what people are worried about. In MT there were no bums. The weather is too harsh. They all come to CA because they can get easy handouts.

As far as movie stars that's on you bitches. I see those fucks all the time and they are just regular people. When you travel out of state and some hick asks you if you know movie stars it gets old. We just start making shit up at that point just because it makes your day.

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i'd like ot see a topo map of that first image

21. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Hot damn...I just want to retire on 640 acres...

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Had a couple hundred yards to shoot growing up along with an unlimited supply of squirrels.

[​IMG]

23. I will love you forever.

24. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

need a wmd meat. everyone just bring your bob and we'll meet on the side of some mtn in the middle of nowhere, and we'll camp/shoot/drink for a few days

25. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

MG, I'll let you know when I get the details hashed out. You won't have to drive much further than me, so you can't use the excuse that it's too far. :)

Ask and ye shall receive: (I put the X's and O on there for reference points)
    [​IMG]