Have comp sound come from home theater system.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Aug 3, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Hey, I was wondering what i need to do to get my computer sound to come out of the home theater system.

i dont know what other details to include, haha. im guessing i need a sound card?? but the thing is i dont have a receiver, i have a home theater system that has its own speakers and junk. and i dont want to have to switch the wires over to the sound card or whatever, i just want it on a different channel.

2. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i found a card that has the rca jacks in the back, just red and white...will that do? (for what im looking for atleast?)

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Get a sound card with digital out (most have it, either optical, coax, or Creative's gay minijack) and run it to a digital in on the receiver.

4. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

both my digitals on the receiver are being used (ps2 and xbox)

im want a connection that i dont hafta keep switch back and forth with the wires.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Then get a minijack to 2 RCA cord and run to the stereo in.

6. 3x

3x New Member

That's what I did. Works perfectly fine, because I'm sure nobody really needs 5.1 for their computer anyway. 2.1 works fine for most things.

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

perhaps you dont understand what i want to do. right now i have 2.1 stereo sound with computer speakers. i want to have the sound come out of my home theater system (a 5.1 surround sound system). if i buy a sound card that has the red and white rca jacks, cant i just plug a red/white wire into those jacks and the other into one of the auxillary ports on the back of the receiver?

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yes, but you need a card that has 6 RCA jacks to do that. Better bet is get a sound card that supports surround and get the necessary number of mini-jack to RCA cables to feed into the reciever 6 channel direct in (if it has it). Most of the cards have a front r/l, rear r/l, and Center/sub min-jack.

Just running 2 RCA connections will only give you 2 channels.

9. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

not true at all.

im only looking for matrix sound. i have my tv running out with two rca cables and i get full speaker sound from every speaker, i dont know what ur talking about. im not looking for true surround sound. i just want atleast equal sound coming from the speaks, and if i needed too, i could just put it on the prologic thing

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

This isn't the best way to do it, but it gets it done. I went to Best Buy and picked up a cable that had a headphone-type jack on one side and dual RCAs on the other. My sound card had a line-out port, so I plugged the headphone jack into there and the dual RCAs into the receiver. Could also work coming out of the headphone jack on the computer too. I had no problems with this for a long time. I just used it to play some MP3s and stuff like that.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member