GUN Have any of you had to use your gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Martin Atchet, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Or been in a situation where you should have used it?

2. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Yea, I have to use it on a weekly basis at the range. I blow the hell out of the Osama targets. :big grin:

Oh, you meant using it in real life, eh? Yea, I've got 9 recorded gangsta kills. :rofl:

3. Pretty sure it was evident what I meant with my thread but thanks for belittling it anyways. :ugh2:

I read a lot of stories on here where people have used their weapons to stop carjackers/robbers/muggers I figured it would be interesting to read someone from this subforum tell their story.

4. Small Block LSX

I know,.. it was meant to be humorous. Don't get your panties all twisted up. ;)

I've read a few posts on here where people have had to draw their gun... but never heard of anyone actually having to fire it. In MN, even if you have a CCW and a clean record, you can't use it to be a hero. Let's say I am witnessing a rape, I can't draw my gun to stop the crime. I can only use it if I am in danger. Now, I could go physically help the woman by pulling the guy off... and if he threatened me personally I could draw my weapon.. but it would be a tough case to win in MN.

I would only draw my weapon if my life was in danger. But, I won't sit in jail for 20 years rotting... I'd probably rather be dead. :o

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

MN's law on use of force against a rapist doesn't seem that different than any other states.

Section 609.06 authorizes you to use force against the person by:
    (3) when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person; or

609.065 covers lethal force in particular:
    The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when
    necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the
    actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in
    the actor's place of abode.

It appears as if you believed the woman was in danger of great bodily harm you would be justified in use of lethal force. I'm not familiar with any state that allows the use of lethal force in such a situation where there isn't the fear of great bodily harm. Rape is specially named in similar laws in some other states, but presumably with forcible rape, the force part is the fear of great bodily harm. Not a lawyer, just curious...

6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

If you shot and killed a man violently raping a woman because you believed it was the only way to stop him, I have a hard time believing a jury of your peers would convict you of murder. Especially if you're in TX or AZ. :bigthumb:

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

in LA there are laws that prevent civil and criminal prosecution if you're stopping a forcible felony

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

there was this one OTer wayyy back in like '04 or '05 who killed a guy that broke into his house. the guy used his dad's shotgun. from what i remember he was never charged.

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

same in FL

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Only close once, and even then it wasn't THAT close. It was over the summer and I was about to get into bed. My oldest brother came home and went to the kitchen when we heard his car alarm going off. He got to the front door and yelled for my brother and me so I grabbed my glock and ran to the door. By the time my brother and I got there we saw 4-5 kids rounding the corner about 75 yards away. We jumped in the car to see if we could find out where they went, not trying to get too close just close enough to see where they went so we could call the cops. We drove around the neighborhood for a little while but never did find them.

About two days later we got a message on our answering machine from one of our neighbors asking for our help because she knows we're into guns. Turns out she was walking her dog and found a makarov in a storm drain right where we saw the kids running. Could have been a coincidence but we figured it was probably for the best that we didn't find the people.

Lame story, but that's the closest.

11. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

My neighbor came over one day freaking out saying she saw someone in her garage, so she closed the garage door :hsugh: and locked the inside door and came over. I grabbed the Colt and went to check but nobody was there.

It looked like someone had been in her car, so I guess they made it out before the garage door went down.

That's the closest I've ever come.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

The law in MN states that you in fact CAN use your legally carried firearm to stop a Felony or life threatening attack on someone other than yourself.

Edit: Of course I didn't bother to read soybomb's post, lol. Sorry.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

a person over on calguns was actually involved in a shooting. Some psycho rented a 9mm AR (back when they were legal in CA), shot it for awhile, then threatened to kill the 3 clerks. He made them go out side, but once outside, the poster on CGN drew on him, fired 4 rounds, only hit with 2, one in the shoulder, and one that went basically wrist to arm on his gun hand and tore it all up.

14. Slick26

Apparently the range employee needs more range time.

15. Slick26

Apparently the range employee needs more range time.

Edit: Unless the poster on CGN wasnt a range employee, lol.
    Still needs more range time though.

16. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I was in a situation in which I would have drawn had I had my CCL, and was the root reason of me getting my CCW.

I was riding home from my friends house on my bicycle. We live about a mile and a half apart. So I'm about a 1/4 mile from my house, and cut down an alley because it would be quicker to put my bike in the garage that way. Out of the shadows comes this bald white guy covered in tats, with a pocket knife held up over his head. He just comes running at me screaming bloody murder and holding the knife over his head. He could only have been Meth'd totally out of his head. It scared me so much I fell off my bike. I threw my bicycle at him as hard as I could and ran into my backyard. He followed me all the way into my backyard. I didn't want to turn my back to him, so I faced him, drew my pocket knife (I carry a 3" Gerber clipped inside my pants pocket) and backed away as fast as I could. It really scared me, he tried to get a few slashes in that I dodged. I'd had a few beers, but it was mostly out of my system because it'd been a few hours and I'd just ridden a mile and a half.

I called the police, and they didn't even come out and file a report for me.

I got my CCW a month later (last august).

17. Aequitas

So, did the guy finally just decide to walk away?

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

So like, did you keep the Mak, or what? :p

19. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

A couple times, it seems like whenever I go hunting deer always attack me :hs: I've also had some squirrels get all up in my face too.

20. Aequitas

No one was home when she called and left the message, it wasn't until a few hours later that we actually talked to her. When she didn't get in touch with us she called the cops and had them come get it. I looked up the report a little while later while on a ride along and it said it was actually loaded.

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:dunno: From what I read, he had to draw and shoot as the guy looked away because of a car horn going off. considering that the perp is going to be 80 something when he comes up for parole with an arm that doesnt work, Im not going to complain :o

22. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

One situation a few years ago where I didn't have a gun, but would have had it ready if I did. Some drunk/baked/fried/drugged moron decided to loudly break into the apartment neighboring mine (as in the entry was a few feet distant from mine, oriented 90 degrees from my door, so I had a peephole view of the proceedings). I called 911 and before the cops arrived, he managed to kick in the door (after knocking himself over more than once) and started to throw random objects through the door and off the balcony - all the while bellowing into some (imaginary?) cellphone about how there's been an emergency and he had been locked out. It was hilarious when the cops showed up and he started demanding to see their warrant.

At the time, all I had for armament was a baseball bat, a closet rod, and some shitty cheap display katana the ex-roommate had left behind. Said ex-roommate is also the reason I didn't have any guns at the time, since having firearms around that person would have been a Bad IdeaTM.

23. Small Block LSX

Interesting.

I was listing to a CCW instructor talk and he specifically said that you wouldn't want to draw your weapon on someone if it isn't directly related to yourself. I even brought up the clause that states you can use your firearm if you are stopping a felony in progress.

I guess I would be scared shitless to ever have to draw my weapon. Our society has drifted to far to the "guilty until proven innocent" arena. I would hate to spend tens of thousands of dollars on lawyer fees if I didn't break any laws. :(

24. Small Block LSX

Yea, Texas or Arizona. Minnesota is so Liberal. I love our system here, but there isn't any Democrat that supports guns. And, all the Republicans are all gungho about abortion and shit that I really don't care about.

25. Small Block LSX

I've heard this before. I brought it up to our instructor at the range.. and he said, "You cannot play hero in Minnesota..."

Maybe I will have to ask around.