have a windows MCE wireless keyboard. MCE didnt come with my comp....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Jul 21, 2006.

1. is there a IR MCE receiver i can buy to make the keyboard work ?
    is having Windows MCE a must if using this keybaord ?

how bad is the IR connection for this keyboard.. how is the range and how easily is the connection obstructed ?

thanks guys

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You'll need the receiver. They can easily be found on Ebay.

I'm not sure if it will work outside of Windows MCE, but I don't see why it shouldn't except you'll lose the functionality of the specific MCE buttons on it.

I have one, but don't like it too much. It seems to skip keystrokes especially when typing. The range seems ok as far as I used it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't bother with IR wireless. It requires a clear line-of-sight with the receiver at all times. Radio wireless is much better, because the radio signal can go right through the magazines, Coke cans, and other stuff that tends to litter living room tables.

Logitech makes a nice line of matched RF wireless keyboard/mouse combos. Give them a look-see.

That said, I think the only part of your keyboard that won't work without Windows Media Center is the green Windows MCE button.

4. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

IR also tends to bounce off things and still reach it's target......RF would be preferred, but IR shouldn't be a problem either.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've never met an IR keyboard I liked. You know how you have to aim the remote control at the TV a couple of different ways sometimes, before it will change the channel properly? Yeah -- try doing that with something 20x larger, while trying to push buttons on it with both hands.

Just don't even bother with IR. Radio does the same thing, more reliably, and for marginally more cost. You can pay $20 more for a radio keyboard to start with, or you can buy an IR keyboard and then buy a radio keyboard in a month when the whole IR thing seems like a fucking waste of time and you hate it.

6. fuck ... yeah made the mistake of buying the dmaned thing.

soon as i sell this im getting me the diNovo