SRS Have a problem, cannot sit or stand still...please help.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NoRegrets78, Nov 2, 2005.

1. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 New Member

Before the obvious is said...see a doctor...I want to see if anyone else has this problem.

There is no way I can sit or stand still...unless I'm lying down. If I'm sitting in a chair like I am right now at work...I am rocking back and forth. I tried to stop it but before I realize what happens im moving again. If I'm not rocking in the chair one of my legs must be shaking. Same thing goes for standing. I cannot stand still. I am constantly rocking but this time side to side. I don't know why I do it and I have made an effort to consciously stop it but it always seems to start again without me knowing im doing it till someone points it out or I realize it myself.

Why do I feel I have to constantly keep moving to be comfortable? I don't do it when I'm driving at all...like I said, only when I'm going to sleep am I still.

2. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Practice. Concentrate on stillness and patience. Make it a goal to sit completely still for an hour.

Or go see a doctor.

3. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

maybe you are having muscle tremors ...

do u work out??

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

Our body moves involuntarily because we must relieve the pressure put on our body. Everyone fidgets, moves, rocks, etc. We all do it without knowing it sometimes, it's completely natural.

But if you do it to the point where it becomes excessive/embarassing, etc. you might want to see a doctor and maybe they can refer you to a physical therapist so you can learn how to sit correctly and relieve pressure. Or it may be neurological.

5. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 New Member

Its embarassing because people point it out. I don't think it has anything to do with pressure, I just have a constant need to keep moving. I'm going to my general practitioner as its possibly ADHD.

6. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

No it's not ADHD. That's a bunk "disease" dreamed up by crackpots who get paid to help parents make up for poor parenting skills with medication.

That said, you might have an actual medical disorder. Or you might simply need some mental self control. If you seriously think it's medical, then by all means talk to a licensed/certified/real medical doctor. But don't go in thinking you know what it is and asking for medicine to fix it.

7. page

page New Member

:werd:

Doctors have a PhD for a reason.

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

:rofl: medical docs are MDs and not PhD.

Completely different class.

9. invrnrv

invrnrv New Member

you might be developing parkinson's or some similar mental disorder of the basal ganglia, but I doubt it.

That said, there could be a host of other reasons for this such as ADHD, but trying to diagnose yourself is dangerous too, as the mind is powerful in a self-fulfilling kind of way.

Try to meditate (like yoga) every morning and stop using drugs like cigarettes. Do moderate exercise every day. Try to live a less stressful life and develop an easy going mindset.

10. invrnrv

invrnrv New Member

btw I'm not a doctor, just my 2 cents.

11. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Thin people, like myself, have a natural predisposition towards movement. They cannot sit still, fidgit, all that. There's nothing wrong with it, and they in fact tend to live longer, are healthier, and usually happier.

I absolutely positively cannot sit still for more than 2 minutes. I *must* move or I go nuts. I'm 36. Been doing it my whole life. It's not a big deal.

Now, with that said, you should also be aware that certain chemical imbalances can cause this behavior if it has started suddenly, such as poor diet. Check with your doctor to be sure.

12. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

You might have a slight neurological disorder like your brain doesnt produce enough dopamine or serontonin or vice versa. Go see a doctor and get a checkup. Sounds like you are constantly anxious and if it is a habit , then more than likely you can retrain it. If it isnt and you cannot control it and you get the "urge" to do it then it could be a neurological disorder. Could even be tourettes Syndrome. Look it up.

13. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Do you drink a lot of sugar or caffeine?

14. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Actually it's probably the moving around all the time that keeps you thin. The move you keep moving, the more calories you are burning.

15. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I used to be like this and then I started working out and drinking a lot of protein and carbs.

Endorphins will calm you the fuck down, so will cutting out caffeine and nicotine.

16. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 New Member

Haven't checked this in a while sorry for the delay.

Sugar & caffine- minimal...drink nothing but water and one coffee per day if at all.

Weight - not thin, 215lbs 6' tall. Exercise 4 days a week, spirited walking for 1 hour. I cannot jog or run due to knee problems.

Its an urge, not something I have any control over. I try to make myself sit still but before i know it im moving again and don't realize half the time. I have been doing this my whole life.

Life has been crazy for a while now. I haven't gotten to the doc yet but rest assured I'll be going to a MD not a phd. I don't even begin to think I know what this is or even try to diagnose myself. The only reason I said its probably ADHD is im trying to give myself a reason to go to the doc and have it checked out. I hate docs and don't go unless absolutely necessary.